Hinge Creaking Problem

Hashirama
Hashirama Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a Predator Helios 300 and whenever I open and close the laptop, the hinge makes loud creaking noises. I was thinking of dripping some vegetable oil into the hinges to lubricate them. What should I do?

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hashirama said:
    I have a Predator Helios 300 and whenever I open and close the laptop, the hinge makes loud creaking noises. I was thinking of dripping some vegetable oil into the hinges to lubricate them. What should I do?
    Well you dont want to do that, as it can easily go to other locations and ruin your mainboard.

You can however follow the bezel removal from this video:

https://youtu.be/HoO9q_svwz0

You will then have easier access to the nut/bolt of the hinge.
    I suggest using an extremely small amount of lubricant and open/closing motion for the screen to work the lubricant in.

It will not take much to remove the sound.
    Vegetable oil is not a very good lubricant for multiple reasons.. it will attract more dirt/debris build up due to the heavy nature of the oil.. also it may attract ants which also love to eat thermal pads and thermal paste.

Best to use a proper lubricant.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Red-Sand
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hashirama said:
    Well you dont want to do that, as it can easily go to other locations and ruin your mainboard.

You can however follow the bezel removal from this video:

https://youtu.be/HoO9q_svwz0

You will then have easier access to the nut/bolt of the hinge.
    I suggest using an extremely small amount of lubricant and open/closing motion for the screen to work the lubricant in.

It will not take much to remove the sound.
    Vegetable oil is not a very good lubricant for multiple reasons.. it will attract more dirt/debris build up due to the heavy nature of the oil.. also it may attract ants which also love to eat thermal pads and thermal paste.

Best to use a proper lubricant.
    - Hotel Hero
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    I hafta agree with @Red-Sand on this one. Especially about attracting ants & dirt. Plus edible oils go rancid to make your laptop stink. I simply advise not opening & closing lid too much for another reason anyway. It puts unnecessary wear & tear on the ribbon cables in the hinge area that might result in conductor trace breaks and cracks. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    JackE said:
    I hafta agree with @Red-Sand on this one. Especially about attracting ants & dirt. Plus edible oils go rancid to make your laptop stink. I simply advise not opening & closing lid too much for another reason anyway. It puts unnecessary wear & tear on the ribbon cables in the hinge area that might result in conductor trace breaks and cracks. Jack E/NJ
    The two connections between mobo and behind bezel is camera/mic wire and edp wire for panel.
    - Hotel Hero