New Predator 17 HD missing after Rapid Storage turn it into recovery drive

vonbetelgeuse
vonbetelgeuse Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives
I got the laptop today totally new and was going through a long list of updates

At some point Intel Rapid Storage turned the 1TB HD into a recovery drive.

The drive is offline and only appears in device manager as a recovery drive, I can't format it or do anything to it.

Halp?

Answers

• You should do the following: go to the cortana and type cmd; then right-click and select Run As Administrator; enter the following commands giving enter in each: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x (x is the offline number) and then enter online!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vonbetelgeuse
    Hi thanks for replying!

I try that but only one disk shows up, the SSD not the other HD. I believe I have been trying to follow the instructions you helped someone else with here:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/548712/intel-rapid-storage-technology-removed-my-hdd-from-my-acer-nitro-an515-52/p1

But I can't access the Bios Advanced tab, it does not appear in the options and is apparently hidden for this laptop model :expressionless:

• What is the exact model of the notebook? Example: v3-571!
    Did you check in bios there is an option called sata mode? If this option exists, you should do the following: press windows + r and type msconfig, select system startup and check for safe boot with network; done that go in the bios and change in the sata mode option, from raid to ahci or from ahci to ide or vice versa and then press f10 to save when exiting!
    The notebook will enter safe mode and will not display any errors when changing this option! It is possible that the notebook can do a check on the disk! Then enter the cmd and type diskpart, list disk (now you should the disk offline), sel disk x, online!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vonbetelgeuse
    edited August 2018
    The model is: Predator G9-793

I checked again in the Bios there is no option to change Sata mode, the only place Sata is mentioned is under the information tab which I can't change, it says it set to Raid.

Is there anyway I can get around this?  :s
  • vonbetelgeuse
    edited August 2018
    Ah! Something magical just happened! I updated the Intel AMT Driver (Kabylake) through the ACER website went into Intel Rapid Storage Technology and clicked on the volume.

I changed Update Mode from Continuous to On Request and the D drive immediately reappeared again.

Thank you so much for helping though, that was scary for a moment :scream:
  • vonbetelgeuse
    Ok so now I have a new problem, although the disk is visible it is now "Read Only" and I can't add a partition or format it or anything  :scream:
  • Use these commands in cmd as administrator: diskpart, select disk x, attributes disk clear readonly, exit

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vonbetelgeuse
    Use these commands in cmd as administrator: diskpart, select disk x, attributes disk clear readonly, exit
    Following as you said it returns "Disk attributes cleared successfully." but even after restarting the Disk Management says the disk is Read Only.
  • Uninstall intel rapid storage; Use the commands again in cmd and restart the notebook! See if it still remains readonly!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vonbetelgeuse
    Now the disk has disappeared from the diskpart, list disk. It is also not visible in Disk Management.
  • Verify that reinstalling the rst is again identified! See if the disk appears and then enter the commands in cmd again if you have readonly! Then type diskpart, list disk, sel disk x, clean (here, delete all), convert gpt, create partition primary, format fs = ntfs quick, assign!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vonbetelgeuse
    After reinstalling RST disk is not list in diskpart, disk list or in Disk Management. The only place the disk is visible is RST.
  • vonbetelgeuse
    Ah ok, the disk was disabled under Device Manager, it now appears in diskpart, disk list but it is offline and I can't bring it online.
  • Writte diskpart, list disk, sel disk x, online! Do this in safe mode!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vonbetelgeuse
    I found the problem why the disk was offline, the disk was not enabled in Device Manager after uninstalling and reinstalling RTS :astonished:

This is what I have at the moment, format fs = ntfs quick does not want to work because media is still write protected.

When trying:
    DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly

it shows:
    Disk attributes cleared successfully.

But the disk is still read only.

• the format command is wrong! You should type like this: format fs=ntfs quick! The fs=ntfs must be together!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vonbetelgeuse
    I still get the same error

• Is that hd being identified with readyonly, is it internal or is it a usb hd?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• vonbetelgeuse
    Is that hd being identified with readyonly, is it internal or is it a usb hd?
    It's the internal HDD that is identifying as read-only
  • Have you selected the disc correctly?
    Look! You should use this command: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x (x is the number of what is being read read only "your is being identified as number 1, so it should look like sel disk 1"); attributes disk clear readonly
    See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrhVSnwUyM0

egydiocoelho Trailblazer