Nitro 5 515-52 true NVME support or just backwards compatible to sata3?

Options
Cordae
Cordae Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
For the love of god I cannot find a detailed data sheet on my new computer coming tomorrow.

It is a nitro 5 type 515-52-547k model NH.Q49ED.005
All I can find is this "overview":
https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2018/4876/AN515-52/NH.Q49ED.005.html

which doesn't state ANYTHING relevant in terms of data for upgrading.
I have searched high and low for a detailed spec sheet.

Rant aside... Does anyone know if a NVME stick will use the x? lanes or will it just be compatible and run like a sata3 in a m.2 slot? I cannot find anything other than "yes, it supports" but all tests i can find on the older 51 model suggests it does not utilise multiple lanes and therefore there is no reason to spend the extra money on NVME, just go sata3 as that is all it does

Also, do any of you know what mhz the RAM is? I ususpect its a 8gb Kingston ValueRAM at 2666....

Thanks a ton for anyone who knows and will tell.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,131 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, it has M.2 slot which can be used for either M.2 NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD, I can not say whether it's 2lanes or 4lanes enabled but most probably 2lanes enabled.
    As for the memory, it could be either a 2400MHz module or a 2600MHz module, you have to wait for the laptop to arrive to find out.
  • Cordae
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, Brummyfan2

I was sort of afraid of that. Incredible, that you do not get a proper spec sheet before purchase.

I suspected as much in terms of it "only" being a 2-lane support, as there is a bios update called improve NVME support. So it suggests that or even better with upping it from x2 to x4....or it is just an update to make the sata3 be better in the m.2 slot calling it NVME support even though it is not.

I can find out the chipset HM370 which does support NVME, but not knowing what actual motherboard it's attached to makes it a guessing game.

• LarryD
    LarryD Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    I have an AN515-52-50VR which is similar spec to yours but does not come with Optane installed.

I put in a 970 evo in the m.2 slot and it's running at full benchmark speed: > 3000MB/s read, >1500MB/s write
  • LarryD
    Options
    BTW,

Before you do the BIOS upgrade could I ask if you can select Boot Mode: Legacy or is the only option UEFI?
  • Cordae
    Options
    I don't get it till tomorrow and will not be able to open it untill later this week, so cannot be helpful untill after that. I saw your other thread about not being able to boot from USB and ultimately change UEFI. I will see if I get an option when i start it up =)

If you get full 3k mb/s read and 1.5k write, then it supports x4. That is very good news indeed.
  • LarryD
    Options
    I ran some tests on all four BIOSes that are currently available. There is a big difference in NVME performance with each.

The worst was 1.05, which saw a speed of around 1900MB/s for read Seq Q32T1

1.09 and 1.15 increased this to around 2500MB/s

The best performance is with 1.19, which hits around 3000MB/s

• LarryD
    Options
    Also make sure you set AHCI and not RST + Optane. Do that and you will get full speed out of an NVME like this EVO 970 256GB