Acer nitro 5 an515-52 SSD NVME run half speed Help!

Options
DarkElex3
DarkElex3 Member Posts: 3 New User
I bought Plextor m9peG 256 GB for upgrading storage. It's specification has read and write speed up to 3000mb/s and 1000mb/s. But my nitro 5 only achieve half read speed about 1500mb/s. I'm already upgrade bios to 1.19 and plextor firmware to latest version but speed is same as before. 

Model Acer nitro 5 an515-52

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi,
    It's quite normal as only 2lanes( out of 4 for PCIe) are enabled in most of the laptops, hence you get half the advertised speed for your SSD.
    This is the speed I get for my M.2 NVMe SSD:

• DarkElex3
    DarkElex3 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    It's quite normal as only 2lanes( out of 4 for PCIe) are enabled in most of the laptops, hence you get half the advertised speed for your SSD.
    This is the speed I get for my M.2 NVMe SSD:

Is there a way to enable 4 lane instead of 2 ? Why they limit lane when system can support 4 lane ?
    Also,I test with crystalmark and surprisingly got these result

I'm wondering is my system run 2 lane or 4 lane.

So,I  run test with another program

and speed is now about 1900mb/s on averarge 

Now, I'm confused
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    No, there's no way to enable 4 lanes, 4 lanes are enabled only for systems with more powerful hardware, in fact there are no noticeable difference between a NVMe drive and a SATA SSD drive except in benchmarks.
  • superstealth
    superstealth Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    make sure you set AHCI and not RST + Optane. Do that and you will get full speed out of an NVME

by default it is set to 
    RST + Optane and optahe only utilises 2 lanes instead of 4 lanes 
    and some nitro 5 ships with optane and thats why it is slow , just change it to ACHI and it will be fixed 

feel free to ask any questions
  • ruhul8357
    ruhul8357 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Poor writing speed for NVMe M.2 SSD (Nitro AN515-52)

Im getting very slow writing speed for Transcend PCIe SSD 100s.
    Previously i used to get 500 MBps+. But not i get only 52MBps

can someone hemp me with the problem .
    Thanks in advance.
  • ynwa1227
    ynwa1227 Member Posts: 61 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    make sure you set AHCI and not RST + Optane. Do that and you will get full speed out of an NVME

by default it is set to RST + Optane and optahe only utilises 2 lanes instead of 4 lanes 
    and some nitro 5 ships with optane and thats why it is slow , just change it to ACHI and it will be fixed 

feel free to ask any questions
    can i switch to ahci without messing up the data inside my ssd? i think i fked up by not switching it to ahci in bios before i installed fresh windows on the new ssd a couple of days ago