Is it necessary to update BIOS? Aspire E5-476G-58KE

Dicky
Dicky Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi everyone, when i was try to search about drivers update on acer official website for my device type, i saw about BIOS/FIRMWARE updates. https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/support-product/7374?b=1&pn=UN.GWBSD.001
That show latest version is v1.33 and i'm currently using version 1.05, in that website is show some warn about "Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution."

Is it necessary to upgrade a BIOS to laptop or just using old version than it's fine? is that any impact if i don't or do update to BIOS?

Thank you ...

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    If you don't have any issues with your laptop you don't need  to update BIOS, the warning mainly to indicate that normal Driver updates and BIOS update are different, you need to take certain precautions while updating BIOS, these are the steps I would suggest you to take, if you intend to update BIOS:
    1. Download BIOS from Acer site to a convenient place like Desktop.
    2. Close all opened Apps, Programs and web sites.
    3. Disconnect any peripherals such as USB drives, Printers etc. from the laptop
    4. Make sure that the battery is charged to 100%.
    5. Keep the AC adapter connected to laptop during the update process.
    6. Make sure to choose a time when there are no thunderstorms or any power outage(power cuts) 
    7. Try uninstalling any third party AV programs.
    8. Extract the downloaded BIOS file to Desktop, open the folder, right click .exe file and select "Run as Admin", follow the screen prompts.
    9. Do not switch off or touch any buttons while updating BIOS, once the process begins walk away from the laptop, it will boot to Windows once the process completes.
    However, the final decision is yours and I can not say that the new BIOS will be better or worse.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    If you don't have any issues with your laptop you don't need  to update BIOS, the warning mainly to indicate that normal Driver updates and BIOS update are different, you need to take certain precautions while updating BIOS, these are the steps I would suggest you to take, if you intend to update BIOS:
    1. Download BIOS from Acer site to a convenient place like Desktop.
    2. Close all opened Apps, Programs and web sites.
    3. Disconnect any peripherals such as USB drives, Printers etc. from the laptop
    4. Make sure that the battery is charged to 100%.
    5. Keep the AC adapter connected to laptop during the update process.
    6. Make sure to choose a time when there are no thunderstorms or any power outage(power cuts) 
    7. Try uninstalling any third party AV programs.
    8. Extract the downloaded BIOS file to Desktop, open the folder, right click .exe file and select "Run as Admin", follow the screen prompts.
    9. Do not switch off or touch any buttons while updating BIOS, once the process begins walk away from the laptop, it will boot to Windows once the process completes.
    However, the final decision is yours and I can not say that the new BIOS will be better or worse.
  • Dicky
    Dicky Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Oh okay, thank you for your answer sir!

I wouldn't take any BIOS update cause my laptop isn't get any problem so far, and I don't want to take any risk cause of updating it give unknown chance to break or improve the laptop itself.
  • JoeMarie
    JoeMarie Member Posts: 10 New User
    is there any benefit when you upgrade , Like new advance mode or SSD Setting ??

• JoeMarie said:
    is there any benefit when you upgrade , Like new advance mode or SSD Setting ??

Hi,
    I don't think there's any benefit in newer BIOS except in certain situations where it may help, if you have no problems, don't update BIOS, newer BIOS may fare worse than the old one.