Bad FPS in Games

Lemurensohn
Lemurensohn Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
As mentioned above, I experience bad FPS and sometimes lags while playing games (Fortnite, League of Legends, Minecraft). I even lowered the settings in every game, but this has close to no impact.
I know the Predator Laptop is a gaming laptop, so games should not lag and because of that it must be me doing something wrong.
I am no computer pro, so I have tried solving with google research, but I couldnt really find anything that improves my FPS permanently.

Help me please :(

Predator Helios 300
i7
GTX 1060
16 GB DDR4
256 SSD

Answers

• MRPREDATOR
    MRPREDATOR Member Posts: 4 New User
    try updateing your bios to latest udating your nivida grafics to latest then try to play some games
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    A simple qustion: are you getting low FPS while plugged into power, or when running on battery?
  • abhishekkalra
    abhishekkalra Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Try playing games with charger connected
  • MRPREDATOR
    MRPREDATOR Member Posts: 4 New User
    uninstall nivida geforce after you check for update it help with my csgo game i play with over 300 fps in some areas ingame and i in put fps_max 0 to unlock full works perfectly
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    It could be a great many things causing it..
    I know one commonly done mistake is adjusting graphic settings via nvidia control panel yet having graphics set to another setting in-game.. as this causes conflicts with priority.

Have you adjusted graphic settings via Nvidia control panel?

If so Id suggest reinstalling the Nvidia GPU driver and choose "custom installation" initially and choosing "perform clean install" and leave the settings at their default values.

Then use geforce experience to "optimize" (a feature of geforce experience) your games graphics to give the best settings for your hardware.

Also instead of removing geforce experience Ive heard that enabling experimental features then rebooting twice removes any negative effect it may have on gameplay.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Wintermute101
    Wintermute101 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I feel like something similar may have happened to me. Not sure of the cause yet, but it seems like my Helios 500 recently had a significant loss of performance and frames. I noticed that when I first picked up my Helios 500 about two months ago, everything ran silky smooth but tended to heat up quickly 75-90 C during gaming (partially because of the summer heat). Typically played world of warcraft and the ulta-silky smooth frames (by g-sync) was incredible. Now, the exact same games/OS/VR feel like it stutters significantly, even while plugged in, and the fan almost never runs. So while I'm never overheating, there's a significant drop in performance. In VR, its very apparent when turning your head (the stuttering effect) to the point its no longer usable, when before it was hot but ran nice and smooth. May need to do a new post about this myself as I can't figure out what's wrong.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    @Lemurensohn

Since your laptop is pretty much just like mine, except that i have a 512 GB SSD, here are a few things I did to get optimal performance, in games and work (note that I am saying optimal, not max; for i do not believe in the term max).

Windows 10:
    1. Disable updates; these kick in when you least expect them (there are multiple threads here on how to do that).
    2. Disable windows search and superfetch services. For home use, you really do not need either of these.
    3. Adjust power settings to your liking. Do NOT set to max performance unless you really feel the need for it. I am a power user, and I never use that setting. My power setting is fine tuned for putting CPUs to park mode whenever possible as soon as possible. This keeps my laptop cooler and increases longevity of the device too.
    My power plan if you want to use it is attached, along with instructions on how to use it.

Software:
    1. Use Throttle Stop (or something similar) to undervolt gently (mine is -125 for cpu and cpu cache) to reduce temperatures at high load.
    2. Install a software like TuneUp Utilities to disable all optional software services (they get auto turned on when that app is opened, and disabled again when closed). This really helps reduce lots of background processing.

Gaming:
    1. Set your FPS to 60 (you could turn on vsync too). Our screens are 60 Hz, so more than 60 FPS doesn't have any visual difference to us, except that it would be putting load on our processors.
    2. Turn on certain settings in game that you feel not needed (like I turn off nvidia hair in witcher 3, turn off certain effects like God rays and such that I am not a fan of). Some visual settings do very little or negligible visual impact but put significant load on processor.
    3. I removed GE Experience. I prefer tuning the games to my liking.

Hard Disk:
    1. Since you mentioned your hard disk is 256 GB, partition it- Windows 10 should be good with about 100-120 GB, and the rest create a second partition for games. And use this only for heavy games. You can use the secondary slower hard disk for smaller or less intensive games.
    2. Also, if you have a secondary disk, partition it, and put in the initial partition for games, next one for frequently used stuff... in that order. On normal spindle HDDs, the partitions inside get faster read write speeds (translates to the partition creation order, with the ones first created with faster speeds).
    On mine:
    SSD --> 1st partition Windows (118 GB), 2nd for games and virtual machines (remaining disk)
    HDD --> 1st partition games, 2nd for movies n such, 3rd for Documents

Physical Unit:
    1. Put in a couple of felt pads under the laptop feet to bump its clearance below to about an inch. This would allow for increased air flow below allowing the laptop stay cooler.

With these above settings, here is the user bench mark: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9722798

And I get pretty much constant FPS in all the games I play with my temps ranging in 35-45 on idle to low loads, hitting max of about 75 during heavy gaming.

And on battery, with low to day to day tasks, I get about 3 hours.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045