Revo rl80 will not power on

Options
andrewgpins
andrewgpins Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
The power button is unresponsive and the device will no longer power on.

Everything worked fine before I attempted to enter the recovery partition (Acer eRecovery?) to reinstall windows with factory settings (by pressing alt + F10 at boot up). They were no issues with windows, I just wanted to wipe it clean.

If I unplug the power from the mains then plug it back in, for a couple of seconds the machine receives power. The power light comes on, I hear the fan spin, and a single BIOS beep (which means system is ok, as far as I understand), but then the power shuts off and the power button is unresponsive.

I tried opening up and resetting the cmos and bios using the pins on the motherboard. I disconnected the cmos battery for 5 minutes.

I re-seated the memory. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it just be a coincidence that I attempted to enter the the e-recovery before this happened and that it is a simple hardware fault?
And no, it is no longer in warranty. 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Did you disconnect the hd to see if the problem is resolved?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • andrewgpins
    andrewgpins Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Fixed!!

It was a problem with the (not very robust) micro switch on the motherboard that the case power button is supposed to push in. Turns out it was jammed in. 

Thank you for the advice. As I attempted to disconnect the hard drive (which isn't easy, you really have to take every little thing apart, bit of a nightmare) I decided to give the power button switch on the motherboard a good looking over.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you tap a photo of that micro switch? I would like to save this photo to help other users!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)