Intel Rapid Storage Technology - How do I revert?

Options
mckngbrd
mckngbrd Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I can give as much device info as needed upon request. I'm not very good with technology or know much about it.

My IRST version is 16.5.1.1030 (should be latest.)

I have a Predator G9-593 laptop

Will attach images of my IRST and Disk Manager below.

As the question states, how do I revert whatever I did to create an Array/Volume?

My current problem with the fact that I even created a Volume in the first place is that I can no longer visibly or physically access (to my knowledge) my D Drive, which had 1TB spare space.

I can now only visibly and physically access my C Drive, which is much smaller at a total of 128GB give or take.

This is excruciatingly annoying as I had files on my D Drive, and applications which want to access it but can no longer - which, by the way, prompts me to redirect a new path so said applications can start, but as I said earlier, I cannot find the files as my D Drive can no longer be found by me (apart from in the IRST app) and my knowledge of my new laptop.

IF, I am given a way to find and access the files I had on my D Drive, I will no longer need to look to or revert whatever I did to remove the Array/Volume which contains both my disk drives (C with 128GB and D with 1TB but only shows my C anywhere I look.) as then I will be content with being able to access those files.

Also, everywhere I've looked online so far that is related to IRST seems to be either outdated or does not match my version of the software (which to my knowledge is the newest as I had acquired this laptop two days ago as a prize.)

Please, ask me for screenshots of anything related and I will supply immediately as my eyes will likely be on this thread until I sleep (in about 12 hours from the posting of this thread) and later when I wake up due to how frustrating this is to me.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @mckngbrd
    Any raid setup will involve erasing both disks during the raid config. So the date on your 1 TB drive should've been wiped clean by now.

One option you could possibly try is to disconnect your 1 TB drive and connect it to another system as an external drive n see if the contents, magically, are still present.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    @mckngbrd

Any raid setup will involve erasing both disks during the raid config. So the date on your 1 TB drive should've been wiped clean by now.

That's fine; as I said, I got this laptop a few days ago and didn't have much. I'd just like to access my 1TB drive or be able to undo the RAID setup.
  • sri369
    Options
    mckngbrd said:
    That's fine; as I said, I got this laptop a few days ago and didn't have much. I'd just like to access my 1TB drive or be able to undo the RAID setup.
    One option you could possibly try is to disconnect your 1 TB drive and connect it to another system as an external drive n see if the contents, magically, are still present.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    mckngbrd said:
    Could you possibly help me with that? As I said, it's a laptop, I don't know my tech, but if it's inside the actual laptop itself I can either refer to the manual and find a way to disconnect it (I don't know if you're talking physically or...) and I also do not know how to connect it to another system as an external. 

Just to clarify, when I say access my 1TB drive, I mean on this actual laptop. Is there any method to undo the RAID setup? That would be extremely helpful and probably the fastest way. I don't mind if I have to reset the laptop. I don't actually care if I can access the files on my 1TB drive or not, as long as the space is back and presently visible on my laptop apart from in the IRST app.
  • sri369
    Options
    If you can reset, as in restore to factory settings, go ahead. That should help restore the configuration to how it was shipped to you.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:
    If you can reset, as in restore to factory settings, go ahead. That should help restore the configuration to how it was shipped to you.
    That would be in this following screenshot, right? The thing is, I already did that last night and my 1TB drive remained merged in the Array/Volume/RAID setup once I configured windows startup afterwards which took about an hour or so. Are there any other instructions on what to do? As I said, I can supply log files, laptop details, etc etc.
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

Options
    So should I go ahead and factory reset as in through that screenshot? It's been a little over two hours without any response and I'm afraid to do anything without confirmation, but am thinking about just going ahead with it in an hour again to see if it works.
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay, I factory reset but again, I came to the laptop completely wiped except for my D Drive which was once again already in a RAID setup/Array/Volume. The only thing I didn't clear was my Trusted Platform Module (TPM) as I have no idea if that will harm my laptop and lock me out from what I've read online. I'd really appreciate if someone could provide assistance.
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

Options
    Can someone PLEASE help. I have factory reset once more and this time I did clear my TPM. The D Drive is still part of the RAID. I also cannot change the RAID setting in my BIOS.
  • sri369
    Options
    Did you try physically disconnecting the drive and doing this? Also it looks like Windows recovery. Try going through Acer recovery please, in Acer care center.

Windows recovery would only reset windows. Acer recovery restores hard disk too to default factory settings.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Did you try physically disconnecting the drive and doing this? Also it looks like Windows recovery. Try going through Acer recovery please, in Acer care center.

Windows recovery would only reset windows. Acer recovery restores hard disk too to default factory settings.

Hey, sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm afraid resetting through Acer Care Center didn't return my D Drive either. And as I said, I don't really know how to remove it physically as I've never really touched any tech related stuff before and really don't want to harm the laptop physically if I screw up.

Plus, I'm uncertain on what to do following the physical removal of the drive if I find out how to / can.
  • mckngbrd

Tinkerer

Options
    Plus I'm uncertain on what to do after physically removing the drive.
  • sri369
    Options
    Care center would not help! I mean, really! Anything related to partitions and such need you to make the factory restore USB and boot through it.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • vonbetelgeuse
    vonbetelgeuse Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Any solution? I'm having the same problem.
  • rishabhmrj
    rishabhmrj Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    mckngbrd said:

I can give as much device info as needed upon request. I'm not very good with technology or know much about it.

My IRST version is 16.5.1.1030 (should be latest.)

I have a Predator G9-593 laptop

Will attach images of my IRST and Disk Manager below.

As the question states, how do I revert whatever I did to create an Array/Volume?

My current problem with the fact that I even created a Volume in the first place is that I can no longer visibly or physically access (to my knowledge) my D Drive, which had 1TB spare space.

I can now only visibly and physically access my C Drive, which is much smaller at a total of 128GB give or take.

This is excruciatingly annoying as I had files on my D Drive, and applications which want to access it but can no longer - which, by the way, prompts me to redirect a new path so said applications can start, but as I said earlier, I cannot find the files as my D Drive can no longer be found by me (apart from in the IRST app) and my knowledge of my new laptop.

IF, I am given a way to find and access the files I had on my D Drive, I will no longer need to look to or revert whatever I did to remove the Array/Volume which contains both my disk drives (C with 128GB and D with 1TB but only shows my C anywhere I look.) as then I will be content with being able to access those files.

Also, everywhere I've looked online so far that is related to IRST seems to be either outdated or does not match my version of the software (which to my knowledge is the newest as I had acquired this laptop two days ago as a prize.)

Please, ask me for screenshots of anything related and I will supply immediately as my eyes will likely be on this thread until I sleep (in about 12 hours from the posting of this thread) and later when I wake up due to how frustrating this is to me.

I did the same in my Acer predator Helios 300, can you please help me