Keyboard backlighting in Swift 1 Is there a way? Registry Key? a setting that I did not see?

Skree
Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited May 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello.

The keyboard in my swift 1 stays illuminated just for a while, then turns off until i press a key. I would prefer for it to stay lit. I understand it is done for battery reasons, but as i said, i woul prefer for it to stay illuminated.

Is there a way? Registry Key? a setting that i did not see?

Thanks.
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Skree 

Currently there is no option  to keep the keyboard backlight always On. You can press FN+F9 to turn the keyboard backlight on and off. The default settings for keyboard backlight on battery power is set to OFF. The keyboard will always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke on battery power. The keyboard backlight settings will return to default after resuming from sleep or shutdown.
    The timer is fixed at 30 seconds to turn Off is to save power while on battery power.  It's a power saving feature, continuous use of Keyboard backlight will drain the battery and will reduce the usage time.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Skree 

Currently there is no option  to keep the keyboard backlight always On. You can press FN+F9 to turn the keyboard backlight on and off. The default settings for keyboard backlight on battery power is set to OFF. The keyboard will always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke on battery power. The keyboard backlight settings will return to default after resuming from sleep or shutdown.
    The timer is fixed at 30 seconds to turn Off is to save power while on battery power.  It's a power saving feature, continuous use of Keyboard backlight will drain the battery and will reduce the usage time.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    A shame. I would have truly preferre to have control over this. If i want to save battery i turn it off, if i need it i prefer to have it always on. 

Well, it's not a big issue, and i am still extremely satisfied with this machine as a backup computer.

Thanks again.
  • Cooloox
    Cooloox Member Posts: 1 New User
    You can't get it to stay on when running on battery, but once you turn the backlight feature "on" with the function key (F9 on my Australian model) - you can wake up the backlight any time after that by touching any key. There is no need to touch the Function key. Waking out of sleep or powering the device on or off does not take the laptop out of backlight mode. You just have to touch a key to awaken the backlighting.
  • Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Simply can't imagine this feature should be so complicated to implement. Or a simple guide to adjust the " timer setting " in the regedit. Remember I did that on another laptop some time ago, and was pretty easy. I can totaly see why Acer made it to auto turn off after 30 sec to save battery, but it should be my desition in the end...I'm the user and it's up to me how much battery I want to save in the long run. 

If I find a solution I'll post it here :) 

(I have Acer Swift 1 SF114-32)
  • TyrellMott
    TyrellMott Member Posts: 3 New User

You can adjust the keyboard backlight settings on your Acer Swift 1 to keep it illuminated by following these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + A to open the Action Center.
    2. Click on the "All Settings" button (gear icon) in the bottom right corner.
    3. Select "Devices" from the list of settings.
    4. Click on "Typing" in the left-hand menu.
    5. Scroll down to the "Keyboard Backlight" section and click on it.
    6. From here, you can select "On" to keep the keyboard backlight illuminated at all times, or "Off" to turn it off completely.

If you want to conserve battery life, you can also adjust the backlight timeout duration by selecting "Short," "Medium," or "Long" from the dropdown menu. Keep in mind that keeping the keyboard backlight illuminated at all times may reduce your battery life.