Predator dropping SSD

Options
jkc135r
jkc135r Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I added an SSD to my Predator (N17C1) to increase the storage. It has been working well and have saved/added many files on it. All the sudden a couple weeks or so ago, My computer just drops it! No warning, it has even happened in the middle of a powerpoint presentation I was showing to a class... Ugh frustrating. The only way I can get it back is by turning off my laptop, opening the compartment, unscrewing the SSD and unplugging/replugging the SSD back in. Once I turn my computer on, it is there again! Its super frustrating. I have done a search but all I can find is information about how to set up the BIOS and installing the SSD. (not what I need) Like I said it's totally random, can be 1st thing in the morning (not used my laptop yer) or is could be after I have done tons of HW and go to save my document. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to save because the drive is missing!! Thanks in advance for the help!!   

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Options
    jkc135r 

I'm suspecting a firmware issue with the system and/or SSD itself.  Make sure you're running the latest firmware release on both. First try to update the firmware for the SSD from the manufacturer website.  If that doesn't fix it, then I suppose it could still be a firmware issue that simply hasn't been resolved.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    +1 to @Sharanji

It looks like a disk issue here or corrupted disk drivers here more than anything - but mostly pointing to a hardware issue. It could be the case that the disk is failing after being turned on for some time.

I would suggest taking backup of any important data from it before it fails totally.

SSDs and similar can fail without any notice and can fail with no option of recovering any data on them.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    I second what @Sharanji said.
    Especially with the new Windows update, updating firmware for drives is a must.

What brand SSD is it?
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    I second what @Sharanji said.
    Especially with the new Windows update, updating firmware for drives is a must.

What brand SSD is it?
    You mean you third it ;-)
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045