Does anyone having display issues with a chromebook cb515-1ht?

Options
Sp1818
Sp1818 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
This so far happens when I try to see my notifications. and I just bought the laptop like 2 days ago. Is there any way to fix this?

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Sp1818

Please try to update your chrome book and check if the issue persist. Follow the instructions to update your chrome browser.

> Open Chrome and click on the 3 dots to the top right
    > click on settings
    > Now click on 3 lines on to the top left
    > Click on about chrome and update the chrome OS.

If the issue still persist. Then perform power wash. Follow the instructions as mentioned in this link: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27649#_ga=2.105871235.1016947577.1534258697-1999562003.1534258697
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Sp1818

Tinkerer

Options
    Rudy21 said:
    @Sp1818

Please try to update your chrome book and check if the issue persist. Follow the instructions to update your chrome browser.

> Open Chrome and click on the 3 dots to the top right
    > click on settings
    > Now click on 3 lines on to the top left
    > Click on about chrome and update the chrome OS.

If the issue still persist. Then perform power wash. Follow the instructions as mentioned in this link: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27649#_ga=2.105871235.1016947577.1534258697-1999562003.1534258697
    Thank you for your time. my chrome os is up to date. I going to try if I can find another way to fix the issue before doing a power wash.
    Have a good one.
  • MFSUNSHINE
    MFSUNSHINE Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    @Sp1818

Did you find a suitable solution? I'm having the exact same issue when I attempt to open notifications or when I open an Android App.  It doesn't start acting up until 20-30 mins into using the computer.  

I'm nearing my return window, so I'm trying to determine if this is software or hardware related.

Thanks.
  • nick2427
    nick2427 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    i have the same issue brand new chromebook only 2 days old i check notifications and the screen goes wild its happening on a lot of apps aswell 
  • ChromieBob
    ChromieBob Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Options
    Same issue, Acer Chromebook Spin 15, I posted about that and MicroSD problems.

A powerwash DOES NOTHING.  I've done it, I've reinstalled the OS via the Chromebook Recovery Utility also.  There seems to a common thread of problems with these newer machines, display flickering among them.  I also have MicroSD problems and some apps make the machine power off completely.

Some pics of the screen going crazy:

I've noticed the problem in relation to Android apps AND Android notifications as above. Clicking somewhere else on the screen causes it to stop.  This makes me think it's software rather than a hardware fault.  I've found at least two others on reddit who said they had problems but returned their machines.  I'm at the point where I either have to keep this machine and hope they fix it, or return it and go back to an older model.

• Sp1818

Tinkerer

Options
    @Sp1818

Did you find a suitable solution? I'm having the exact same issue when I attempt to open notifications or when I open an Android App.  It doesn't start acting up until 20-30 mins into using the computer.  

I'm nearing my return window, so I'm trying to determine if this is software or hardware related.

Thanks.
    No, I did not find a solution, I return the laptop and change it for a new one and same problem. I think is a software problem but the only thing that i notice is that the new one (same model) does not crash so often. I'm keeping it hoping they fix this issue with an update.
  • Sp1818

Tinkerer

Options
    Same issue, Acer Chromebook Spin 15, I posted about that and MicroSD problems.

A powerwash DOES NOTHING.  I've done it, I've reinstalled the OS via the Chromebook Recovery Utility also.  There seems to a common thread of problems with these newer machines, display flickering among them.  I also have MicroSD problems and some apps make the machine power off completely.

Some pics of the screen going crazy:

I've noticed the problem in relation to Android apps AND Android notifications as above. Clicking somewhere else on the screen causes it to stop.  This makes me think it's software rather than a hardware fault.  I've found at least two others on reddit who said they had problems but returned their machines.  I'm at the point where I either have to keep this machine and hope they fix it, or return it and go back to an older model.

Yes it happens with android apps and notifications. Have you tried to contact the accer tech support?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Since it seems to be a software problem, has anyone contacted Google about it? It seems like that would more efficient than contacting Acer and having them contact Google...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ChromieBob
    Options
    billsey said:
    Since it seems to be a software problem, has anyone contacted Google about it? It seems like that would more efficient than contacting Acer and having them contact Google...
    I filed a bug report:
    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=884339

But it's vague as I can't replicate the problem reliably.  People will need to go to the linked bug and 'star' it, to say they have the problem too.  The more people who have the problem, the more chances they'll TRY to look into it.
  • ChromieBob
    Options
    It may be helpful if we try to identify what models or baseboards are affected - there could be common thread to the problem that may help the devs.

I have the Spin 15 CP315, model "Bruce" - baseboard "Coral".

• Sp1818

Tinkerer

Options
    It may be helpful if we try to identify what models or baseboards are affected - there could be common thread to the problem that may help the devs.

I have the Spin 15 CP315, model "Bruce" - baseboard "Coral".

I have the Acer 15 CB515-1HT-C2AE baseboard "reef".
  • Rudy21
    Options
    Have you guys tried checking in the "Beta" mode. Seems like its working in this mode.
  • Sp1818

Tinkerer

Options
    Rudy21 said:
    Have you guys tried checking in the "Beta" mode. Seems like its working in this mode.
    I'm going to try it.
  • ChromieBob
    Options
    Rudy21 said:
    But things WILL be broken in Beta, you may find one thing improved and 10 other things broken instead.
  • Rudy21
    Options
    @ChromieBob Yeah you are true.. thats why they named it beta.. testing mode. receives all new updates and these updates might work or fail..
  • ChromieBob
    Options
    Rudy21 said:
    @ChromieBob Yeah you are true.. thats why they named it beta.. testing mode. receives all new updates and these updates might work or fail..
    My point being, although it may be fixed in the Beta or Dev channels, generally advising users to switch to an unstable channel - them thinking it could be a solution or workaround, is a bad idea since it potentially introduce other problems.  It could even manifest a similar looking problem but with a completely different cause.

If the problem could be EASILY reproduced, then it would be worth at least one person on each affected model, temporarily switching to Beta and trying to replicate the problem - then we'd know that the next Stable release may have a fix.
  • ChromieBob
    Options
    Update.  I've had a SEVERE glitch on my machine!

As I took photos, the left side of the screen faded, the right side got stronger, notice the CORNERS turning black!

I turned the computer off for 10 minutes, when I switched it back on, to my horror, the lines had left ghosting on the LCD!!!

It took another HOUR for the lines to start to fade.

I decided to switch the the Beta Channel.  I cannot state the problem is solved. 
    I've had a few screen 'flutters', not as bad as above, just momentary flickers that last under a second.

• Rudy21
    Options
    Can anyone try performing this step to see if it works. Turn off the device without plugged in. Press and hold Refresh key (4th key on the top) and power button together for 10-15 sec.

Try this twice
  • ChromieBob
    Options
    Rudy21 said:
    Can anyone try performing this step to see if it works. Turn off the device without plugged in. Press and hold Refresh key (4th key on the top) and power button together for 10-15 sec.

Try this twice
    I have done as you asked. Twice.  The blue power light momentarily flashed on each time.
    What does that combo do?
  • Rudy21
    Options
    It basically does hard reset on the chrome book. It will restart your Chromebook hardware.