Aspire 5742g i5 480m gt540m overheat

Wesker465
Wesker465 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello, I have an aspire 5742g ith cpu ang gpu listed above. My general problem is overheating in 3d aplications. Laptop wasnt used like 2 years. Recently I've cleaned fan and heatsink with alcohol and compressed air. I have also repasted cpu ang gpu with good quality thermal compound. Problem is that laptop reaches 95+ degrees in e.g world of tanks but in simple tasks or idle it reaches 45 degrees... I saw many problems with that aspire model but no one solved that problem. I've also updated bios to newest version but that didnt help either. Does someone have any ideas how to fix it ? Could the heatsink lost his properties over time ???

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    If you're not experiencing throttling or auto-shutdown, the temperature indicated is probably higher than actual. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wesker465
    Cpu does lowering its frequencies so throttling is occuring, also games are starting to stutter. 
  • JackE
    What Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wesker465
    JackE said:
    What Windows version? Jack E/NJ
    Windows 7 home premium x64 
  • JackE
    Did it ever NOT overheat with similar or the same games? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VegasWhoa
    VegasWhoa Member Posts: 79 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Wesker465 said:
    Hello, I have an aspire 5742g ith cpu ang gpu listed above. My general problem is overheating in 3d aplications. Laptop wasnt used like 2 years. Recently I've cleaned fan and heatsink with alcohol and compressed air. I have also repasted cpu ang gpu with good quality thermal compound. Problem is that laptop reaches 95+ degrees in e.g world of tanks but in simple tasks or idle it reaches 45 degrees... I saw many problems with that aspire model but no one solved that problem. I've also updated bios to newest version but that didnt help either. Does someone have any ideas how to fix it ? Could the heatsink lost his properties over time ???

My recommendation is to always use a third party fan control app like notebook F** C*****L and set your fan at 100% speed 24/7

it sounds like you are out of warranty, if the dedicated video card goes aka BSOD, you atleast have the intel onboard graphics to run everyday tasks.   
  • Wesker465
    JackE said:
    Did it ever NOT overheat with similar or the same games? Jack E/NJ
    Yes, before it was left for 2 years it never throttled...There was 75-80 degrees yes but never above 90-95 :(

VegasWhoa said:
    Wesker465 said:

My recommendation is to always use a third party fan control app like notebook F** C*****L and set your fan at 100% speed 24/7

it sounds like you are out of warranty, if the dedicated video card goes aka BSOD, you atleast have the intel onboard graphics to run everyday tasks.   
    Hmm I'll try that app :)  Yes laptop has its age but if its still operational Im gonna try save it from overheating and throttling. 

If this app wont work ill drill holes under laptop ( where gpu and cpu is ) and add 2 fans connected to usb and try cool it down that way.... Theres also copper mod Im thinking to try...

But Im still wonder: could heatsink itself lost its properties during 2 years?
  • VegasWhoa
    VegasWhoa Member Posts: 79 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Your laptop is doing everything mine was doing before it ***** the bed.  Do anything 3D related, the 940mx blue screened.  Of course 1’yr & 1 month which of course is past the warranty LoL.   Now its completely dead from pressing FN + F4 sleep function.  

I believe it went into a 007 self destruct mechanism.  For whatever reason, putting it into sleep caused the bloody thing to heat up as if it wanted to make babies. 

• JackE
    >>>Yes, before it was left for 2 years it never throttled...There was 75-80 degrees yes but never above 90-95>>>

Exact same game? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wesker465
    I was playing WoT  and my GF  sims 3 - both now throttles after few minutes. However laptop never turned off itself from overheating but problem is serious cause its now useless....
  • yttara
    yttara Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

you can have a rest, then use it.
  • Wesker465
    yttara said:
    you can have a rest, then use it.
    You kidding ??  Have a rest every 5 mins ? -_-
  • JackE
    >>>I was playing WoT  and my GF  sims 3 - both now throttles after few minutes. However laptop never turned off itself from overheating but problem is serious cause its now useless.... >>>

These are the exact same versions/numbers that played OK two years ago? Does this mean they were not updated in any way? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wesker465
    JackE said:
    >>>I was playing WoT  and my GF  sims 3 - both now throttles after few minutes. However laptop never turned off itself from overheating but problem is serious cause its now useless.... >>>

These are the exact same versions/numbers that played OK two years ago? Does this mean they were not updated in any way? Jack E/NJ
    They were updated of course...
  • JackE
    Yeah. That's the problem. Now we don't ***know*** if it's the old hardware or the new updated software. But I'm gonna guess it's the updates trying to be more compatible with Win10 than Win7. Is there some way you can revert back to an unupdated versions from 2 years ago to test this? Or at least posted the problem on the WoT etc forums to get their views on running the latest stuff on an older Win7 machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wesker465
    JackE said:
    Yeah. That's the problem. Now we don't ***know*** if it's the old hardware or the new updated software. But I'm gonna guess it's the updates trying to be more compatible with Win10 than Win7. Is there some way you can revert back to an unupdated versions from 2 years ago to test this? Or at least posted the problem on the WoT etc forums to get their views on running the latest stuff on an older Win7 machine? Jack E/NJ
    Yes of course, my Gf has original ver 1.0 sims 3 ( unpatched ) so Im gonna install it and verify it. :)  Ive also formatted windows yesterday so the system is clean and up to date with drivers.
  • Wesker465
    Wesker465 said:
    JackE said:
    Yes of course, my Gf has original ver 1.0 sims 3 ( unpatched ) so Im gonna install it and verify it. :)  Ive also formatted windows yesterday so the system is clean and up to date with drivers.
    Unfortunatelly its overheating the same way :/
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search power. Edit power plan. Do you recall if you tweaked these settings? What's the plan now? Did you mess with any of its advanced settings particularly for the CPU? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Wesker465
    I was always using default high performance settings... I have the IT knowledge but this problem I think its in heatsink itself...
  • JackE
    I assume you cleared out all the dust bunnies hiding inside, not just around the fans & c/gpu when you re-pasted. Your fans are probably crapping out not running full-tilt when they shoud. Replacement fans are cheap. Heat sinks don't usually fail. Try another paste and new fans.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ