V3-551G-X419 panel upgrade?

Options
troglodyte
troglodyte Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, I'm refurbishing an old 15" Aspire V3 and I wanted to try upgrading the (terrible) screen. I purchased a cheap B156HAN01.2 IPS display with a resolution of 1920x1080. After opening the frame and removing the old panel, I plugged the new one into the 30-pin eDP connector cable, and while the display will power on it does not display any image whatsoever.

I'm assuming the problem I've run into is that my cable is single-lane eDP and I need two-lane support for FHD. Although I have a FHD cable on order my research has revealed that this laptop uses a nonstandard 40-pin LVDS connector on the motherboard side in order to mount the webcam (I don't care about the webcam and I will happily leave it disconnected if necessary), so the 30-pin cable I ordered doesn't seem likely to work.

What I need to know is: 1) is there a cable out there that will support FHD with my laptop's motherboard; 2) is it even possible to get 2-lane eDP working on this machine, ie are all the pins wired-up on the mobo side so that if I have the correct cable my display will function?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>so the 30-pin [FHD] cable I ordered doesn't seem likely to work.>>>

Might work if its 30-pin connector will mate with the correct 30 slots in the 40 slot receptacle. So might need a 30 to 40 pin adapter too. Worth a try. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ