New battery won’t charge

RayP
RayP Member Posts: 41 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I bought the Travelmate P653MG in 2014 and it’s been fine. Recently the battery status indicator suggested a new battery is recommended so I identified the battery model number as AS10G3E and ordered a replacement. Unfortunately it was shipped from China and took 4 weeks.

When I inserted the replacement it wouldn’t charge but will supply power. I’ve followed all the advice about uninstalling the battery drivers but to no avail.

I have a Battery utility program and this identifies the battery model as AS10D31. This is different to the original of AS10G3E. But the new one has AS10G3E embossed on it which is clearly incorrect.

Can you please confirm if the AS10D31 is compatible or not? It is very frustrating to have to buy from overseas as I cannot source an original in the U.K.

Thanks,
Ray.

Best Answer

• RayP
    Answer ✓
    Just to conclude this discussion I have decided not to buy the replacement battery from another internet company as they’re not replying to emails and that’s before I place an order. They would probably be a nightmare if the battery didn’t work.

I have sent the battery I received on Monday back to China. They have promised to refund cost and postage. I’ll put the Acer into mothballs once I’ve transferred files to a new Dell X15 I will order tomorrow. Dell have made me a good deal. Pity Acer couldn’t supply a new battery. Something for them to think about.

My thanks to my brilliant Acer helper egydiocoelho who tried so hard to fix the problem. Viva Brazil!  :)

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    The original part numbers for battery:
    BT.00605.73
    BT.00603.129
    BT.00903.013
    AS10D31 is also compatible with your laptop:http://www.topbatteries.co.uk/laptop-battery/acer/10158.htm

• RayP
    Hi brummyfan2. Thanks very much for the info and link. You say the AS10D31 is compatible but that’s the one I just received and whilst it will power my Travelmate it won’t charge.

This would suggest the problem lies elsewhere but how can I fix it? I’ve googled “laptop battery not charging” and followed the advice but no joy. Is it a battery problem or a software one?
  • Does it charge when it's off? Have you tried disabling quick boot in the power options so that the notebook does a new check of the hardware installed in the boot?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • RayP
    I haven't checked that yet but it would be strange if it did but not when powered up.

Neither have I disabled quick boot but I have uninstalled the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery entry in Device Manager - Batteries and then rebooted. Would that do the same?

I've put my original battery back in and it's charging. That proves there's nothing wrong with the laptop. The only change is the new battery with a different Battery Name from the original.

Surely that means it's the battery that's responsible.
  • It could be that the problem is on the battery! However, do the following: Disable quick power-up initialization and turn off the notebook; unplug it from the electrical outlet and remove the battery; then press the power button for thirty seconds to eliminate any static energy that is preventing the battery from being recognized!
    Then plug in the new battery and plug the notebook into the power and see if it is charging and running normally!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • RayP
    I have Windows 7 Pro which doesn't appear to have any quick power-up options either in the OS or the BIOS.
    But I did unplug the power cord and remove the battery before holding down the power button for a minute.
    Reconnected power lead and battery and booted into Windows. Same problem of battery not being charged.

I'm out of ideas and can only think it's an incompatible battery despite what's printed on the battery itself.
  • Does your current battery have as many cells? The previous one had how many cells? What version of bios is installed on your notebook?
    Also check the battery for its voltage and compare with the old one! Both must have the same voltage! Example: 10.8v!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RayP
    Before ordering the new battery I took the old one out and entered into google the battery name. That ensured the one I ordered was identical to my original. Take a look at the attached screenshots for my original battery (old) and the one I received today (new). The names are different but on the website where I ordered I carefully checked the relevant info was the same. Here are the details from my order...

• Battery Type: Li-ion
    • Battery Voltage: 11.1V
    • Battery Capacity: 9000mAh, 99Wh
    • Battery Color: Black
    • Battery Weight: 516g
    • Battery Size: 271.60 x 52.50 x 38.90mm
    • Battery Cells Amount: 12-Cells
    • Description:Original / Genuine Battery - 1 Year Warranty

I updated my BIOS today to v1.13 dated 11/6/2012. No difference to the problem. I appreciate your help.

• Both are compatible with your model! This notebook has two buttons for taking and putting the battery in! The first one should be up and the second should also be as closed! Check that, if these buttons are "open", it may be that the battery is not perfectly connected!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RayP
    They’re both closed. 1 is used to lock / unlock and 3 to unlatch the battery. The red section on 1 is not visible once locked.

The battery may be compatible which means it has a fault. There can be no other explanation.
  • Try to do this now: with the new battery connected, press f2 when turning on the notebook and go to exit! Select loadsetupdefaults to return bios to default settings and then save on exiting! The bios is who controls the battery, so it is possible that by making the bios return to the default settings, the new battery can be recognized! Then, on windows, download the driverbooster program to update all the notebook drivers! Sometimes an outdated driver prevents recognition of a new battery!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RayP
    edited August 2018
    It’s a bit late to do that now so I’ll leave it until tomorrow.

Can you explain where the drive booster program can be found please.

Regarding your previous point about making sure the battery was securely in place I used exactly the same procedure for putting the original battery back so I know I did it right. 
  • RayP
    Drive a Booster is a 3rd party program. Found it. More tomorrow.
  • When the battery is fully seated, you hear a slight click when it fits!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RayP
    When the battery is fully seated, you hear a slight click when it fits!
    Yes.
  • Check now if updating the drivers, solves the problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RayP
    My earlier replies that contained links to YouTube have not appeared.

I reset the BIOS and rebooted but no joy. Went through the procedure of unplugging power and taking out battery and uninstalling the battery driver and still no joy.

I had a reply from the supplier overnight who has given me three options:-
    1) Pay £10 and they will send a 6 cell equivalent. I can keep the one supplied.
    2) Return the 12 cell one for a replacement and postage is refunded.
    3) Return for a refund.

I was going to wait until I had contacted Acer support as replacements are available from them. Rang the 0330 number and I've been told the battery for my 4.5 year old Travelmate is no longer available. They suggest I contact the people who I bought the laptop from (eBuyer) as they are obliged to support replacement parts for up to 6 years under UK Consumer Laws.

This looks like the end of the road unless you can suggest anything else. To say I'm disappointed in Acer laptops is a massive understatement.

• Why do not you try reinstalling windows 7? Or who knows, install windows 10 on your machine?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RayP
    Why do not you try reinstalling windows 7? Or who knows, install windows 10 on your machine?
    With respect there's nothing wrong with my windows install and I won't go near 10 with a barge pole. All that work and no guarantee it would solve anything. If the existing battery can be charged when the power is connected and the new battery can't it's pretty clear to me the problem lies in the battery.

Thanks for your efforts. I'll probably take the easiest option and pay the supplier £10 for a replacement and hopefully that will work.
  • Did you try to update the drivers using the driverbooster? So that you make sure that there are no problems with the drivers! See this before!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer