XB271HU USB 3.0 ports and external drives

Options
Cesco74
Cesco74 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2018 Archives
Hello. I just discovered today that my monitor USB ports have problems recognizing external USB 3.0 hard drives. I have two different hard drives, a WD Elements 1 TB (powered by the USB port) and a WD My Book self-powered. If I try to connect any of these HD to any of the monitor USB ports they are not detected at all (not even in Disk Management on Windows). Both disks spin but that's all. If I connect the disks to a USB 2 port on my keyboard or directly to a USB 3 port on my PC they appear correctly in Windows. Windows is 10 and everything is up to date. The uplink USB cable that goes from the PC to the monitor is the one supplied by ACER and is USB 3 (blue color). All the ports of my monitor work fine with other USB devices (headphones, joysticks, mouse, camera, etc), all USB 2 devices.

Has anyone had luck with external USB 3 drives connected directly to the monitor?

I have this monitor for 1 year and a half and it has been working flawlessly so far. It's the first time I tried to connect a USB 3 hard drive to it.

Thanks.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It looks like your monitor only recognizes hd formatted in fat32 and is converted to mbr! Check the configuration of a flash drive that works when you connect it to the usb port of the monitor by entering the following command in the cmd: diskpart, list disk (if gpt is not checked it is because it is in mbr)! Now make sure the pendrive is in fat32 or ntfs in the device manager! Hit a photo!
    It is also possible that your HD is converted to gpt, so it is not recognized on the monitor!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cesco74

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options
    Hello there and first of all thanks for the reply.

I found a third USB 3 external drive (WD Elements) formatted in exFAT and I see it in Windows when connected to the monitor. Every other external HD that I don't see is formatted in NTFS. This disk is in GPT. Here is a screenshot of my diskpart:
    Disk 0 and 1 are my internal HDs
    Disk 2 is a USB 3 external drive connected to a USB 2 port (Keyboard), NTFS/MBR (not seen if connected to the monitor)
    Disk 3 is a USB 3 esternal drive connected to the monitor, exFAT/GPT

So my monitor won't recognize NTFS formatted drives? Is it a driver problem? It doesn't seem a MBR/GPT related issue, because the GPT external drive is recognized by the monitor and GPT is more advanced than MBR.

Thanks.
  • Cesco74

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Options
    Same picture but with a pendrive on drive 3 connected to the monitor: FAT32/MBR

I believe NTFS makes the differnce, but is there a solution apart from formatting the HD in FAT32/exFAT? That seems ridiculous...
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The drivers of the monitors are only for core!
    You can convert disk 2 to gpt, leaving it in ntfs mode to see if it works!
    It may be that he does not recognize mbr! But this will cause you to lose HD data!
    Do as in the photo:

If it still does not work, leave Disk 2 configured as Disk 3:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cesco74

Tinkerer

Options
    I just formatted the pendrive in NTFS/MBR and I can see it when attached to my monitor USB3, but the pendrive is USB 2. Now I'm a bit lost... because the same combination on a USB 3 external drive doesn't work.

Now I can only try the combination NTFS/GPT on a external drive.

But I still can't understand what's the cause of this.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try exfat and gpt!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer