Cloning-Installing-Putting Linux on new M.2

Options
LouieB
LouieB Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Ok, here goes...I just purchased Acer Helios 300, which came with 128gb m.2 SSD drive.  Here is what I would like to do.  First I would like to add a 500gb Sata SSD in the empty 2.5" bay.  Next I want to clone the m.2 to the new drive. And lastly I would like to replace the current m.2 with a bigger one and put Linux mint on it.  I want to be given the option at boot to load either Linux or windows.  This is easy dual booting from one drive, where you are given a grub screen, but am confused with 2 drives.  What I need to know is if all this is possible, will I run into any hiccups.  I don't know much about bios, uefi...things like that.  Any help would be awesome...I don't want to mess up my new computer.

Best Answer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    LouieB said:
    sri369 said:
    Since you mentioned you aren't into any internals working of systems and do not want to mess, install VMWare and install Linux onto it.
    Thanks for the response, that is certainly an option.  However, how does one learn if they don't do.  I didn't say I wouldn't mess, just that I'm not too familiar with the internals and don't want to kill my machine.  I'd rather set it up the way I explained.  It doesn't sound hard in my head, but I'm sure there are some particulars I would overlook.
    Most recent systems that come with Windows 10 preinstalled are not that friendly to other OS given how MS pretty ties the manufacturer's hands. Infact very few manufacturers (one of them being Acer) allow the legacy boot option for older OSes.

Try taking out the primary that had Windows installed, and install linux into the other one. Get it working. When you are satisfied you can add this windows disk and set up GRUB with that. This might be a better approach.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• sri369
    Options
    Since you mentioned you aren't into any internals working of systems and do not want to mess, install VMWare and install Linux onto it.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • LouieB

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    Thanks for the response, that is certainly an option.  However, how does one learn if they don't do.  I didn't say I wouldn't mess, just that I'm not too familiar with the internals and don't want to kill my machine.  I'd rather set it up the way I explained.  It doesn't sound hard in my head, but I'm sure there are some particulars I would overlook.
  • sri369
    Answer ✓
    Options
    LouieB said:
    sri369 said:
    Most recent systems that come with Windows 10 preinstalled are not that friendly to other OS given how MS pretty ties the manufacturer's hands. Infact very few manufacturers (one of them being Acer) allow the legacy boot option for older OSes.

Try taking out the primary that had Windows installed, and install linux into the other one. Get it working. When you are satisfied you can add this windows disk and set up GRUB with that. This might be a better approach.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • LouieB

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    LouieB said:
    sri369 said:

Thanks, I'll try that.