Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer Predator G3-571 laptop not playing Starcraft Remastered and Darkest Dungeon

vitalivitali Posts: 12Member New User
(rewritten into proper forum)
My Predator G3-571 is crashing on Starcraft Remastered and Darkest Dungeon.

I first thought it was Starcraft remastered or something when I tried to play with my cousin, only to find that I couldn't even load the first menu. I played League of Legends, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dead Cells, and so forth with no problem (Albeit a little slow down and some strange slow frame rate) and then when I redownloaded Darkest Dungeon to play that, it crashed in the same manner as Starcraft Remastered where it didn't even get past the first logo of "Red Hook Studios"

What is going on???
I've played both Starcraft Remastered and Red Hook Studios just fine and now they don't work?

I literally played Starcraft Remastered four days ago and then two days ago it stops working. What is wrong with my laptop?

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE Posts: 8,925ACE Pathfinder
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Click create a restore point. Look for an automatic Win10update restore point with a datestamp just prior to when it stopped working. Jack E/NJ
  • vitalivitali Posts: 12Member New User
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Click create a restore point. Look for an automatic Win10update restore point with a datestamp just prior to when it stopped working. Jack E/NJ
    I tried it and i found a restore point,but not a win10update restore point. When i tried to restore to august 7th, it tried to do it but it had an error that said the restore point didnt work at the end
    Did you click the box "show more restore points" ? Jack E/NJ
    JackE said:
    Did you click the box "show more restore points" ? Jack E/NJ
    That was how i found the august 7th option
    What created the Aug 7th restore point? Jack E/NJ
    JackE said:
    I have no idea. I will post screen shots asap
    JackE said:
    Actually, i think it was from me reinstalling my sound driver. I had to install it multiple times over the last couple weeks. Would that affect things?
    >>>I literally played Starcraft Remastered four days ago and then two days ago it stops working. >>>

Aug 7th was four days ago. Try the Aug 7th restore point again and note exact wording of any failure messages. Jack E/NJ

I have attached this image as per your request.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what it means by the antivirus program. I do not have an antivirus program. I also turned off the system protection just in case and it still didn't work.

What file is this talking about?

JackE said:
    >>>I literally played Starcraft Remastered four days ago and then two days ago it stops working. >>>

Aug 7th was four days ago. Try the Aug 7th restore point again and note exact wording of any failure messages. Jack E/NJ

Please turn system protection back on. Then check Control Panel programs to make sure you don't have McAfee or Norton antivirus installed. If not, then disable Windows Defender by pressing the Winkey + R key. Then enter "gpedit.msc" without the quotes. Then disable Defender. Then reboot, and try the Aug 7th restore point again. Jack E/NJ

• WinterGaleWinterGale Posts: 22Member Networker
    Since the latest Windows 10 upgrade I also experienced some games no longer working. Others were getting "Fatal Errors" upon starting, others would not just start. My solution was to:

1. Find the game's .exe file.
    2. Right click and go to properties.
    3. Go to compatibility.
    4. Select "Disable fullscreen optimizations".
    5. On the same tab click on "Change high DPI settings" to open a new window.
    6. Select "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program [...]". Then under the drop down menu, select "I signed in to Windows".
    7. Uncheck "Override high DPI scaling behavior".

This problem seems to occur randomly with some games being affected and others not. I hope this helps.
    Since the latest Windows 10 upgrade I also experienced some games no longer working. Others were getting "Fatal Errors" upon starting, others would not just start. My solution was to:

3. Go to compatibility.
    6. Select "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program [...]". Then under the drop down menu, select "I signed in to Windows".

This problem seems to occur randomly with some games being affected and others not. I hope this helps.
    How do i do this for starcraft remastered? How about a steam game like darkest dungeon?

3. Go to compatibility.

Unfortunately, this does not help with Darkest Dungeon.
    JackE said:
    Please turn system protection back on. Then check Control Panel programs to make sure you don't have McAfee or Norton antivirus installed. If not, then disable Windows Defender by pressing the Winkey + R key. Then enter "gpedit.msc" without the quotes. Then disable Defender. Then reboot, and try the Aug 7th restore point again. Jack E/NJ

Am I a moron? Did I do something wrong?

JackE said:

Okay, I figured out the GPedit part ... but it still didn't work. I still got the same error message.
    Try to run the restore point from Safe Mode without networking. https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode   Jack E/NJ

Does the game display a specific error message when it crashes?
    Also, I doubt its your system that' is at fault here. Since the latest Win10 Creator's Update, lots of game had been crashing and even the devs themselves are at loss for a proper solution.