Nitro N50 - How to migrate to and choose an SSD?

Masterbman
Masterbman Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi!
I just bought a Nitro desktop and I'd love to add an SSD. I'm confused though about which SSDs are compatible for the Nitro's slots, which slot to use, and how to migrate or clone the OS to the SSD. Please help!

Acer Nitro Gaming PC - Intel Core Ci7-8700/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX 1050/Windows 10

Expansion Slots
1 PCle x16 -1 Available; 2 M.2 -1 Available

Model #: N50-600-EB11 

Best Answers

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    You have a slot for M.2 SSD, you can install a M.2 NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD whichever you prefer, after installing the SSD, please follow the steps to migrate your HDD contents including OS. 13 in the snip is the slot for M.2 SSD.
    1. Install Minitool Partition wizard free program, run it and use Migrate feature to transfer the contents of HDD.
    2. Go to BIOS settings, move to BOOT tab and make the SSD as your first boot device.
    3. Once you are happy with the migration, you can format the HDD and use it for your storage but make sure that everything is fine, if you want you can remove the HDD and use only the SSD to make sure the migration was successful.
     https://www.minitool.com/partition-manager/partition-wizard-home.html
    https://www.minitool.com/help-pw/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html

• Masterbman
    Masterbman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks so much! So fast!
    How can I find the full photo of the screenshot you left? I'd love any motherboard/spec info like that.
  • Red_Sun
    Red_Sun Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    This thread should be stickied. NIce work brummy
  • brummyfan2
    Red_Sun said:
    This thread should be stickied. NIce work brummy
  • ryan0305
    ryan0305 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Just give a try with the free os cloning software aomei partition assistant, it works like a charm.
  • MrJosephIssa
    MrJosephIssa Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    Hi,
    You have a slot for M.2 SSD, you can install a M.2 NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD whichever you prefer, after installing the SSD, please follow the steps to migrate your HDD contents including OS. 13 in the snip is the slot for M.2 SSD.
    1. Install Minitool Partition wizard free program, run it and use Migrate feature to transfer the contents of HDD.
    2. Go to BIOS settings, move to BOOT tab and make the SSD as your first boot device.
    3. Once you are happy with the migration, you can format the HDD and use it for your storage but make sure that everything is fine, if you want you can remove the HDD and use only the SSD to make sure the migration was successful.

Hey Brummy, I have the ACER Nitro N50 - Intel Core i5 8400 2.8MHz/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX 1050 (2GB) - N50-600-EB11

The motherboard is pretty much the same as your picture minus a few minor things.

The PCIe x16 is connected to the video card, 1 M.2 connector is connected to the wireless card, and the other M.2 connector is free and available to use. How can I know if that M.2 connector the SATA, PCIe (NVMe) or can support both for SSD? The reason is I want to get the Samsung EVO970 which is NVMe... And I need to know if my M.2 is still like your picture where it supports both! Maybe mine would be different?

Thank you
  • Hi,

Hey Brummy, I have the ACER Nitro N50 - Intel Core i5 8400 2.8MHz/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX 1050 (2GB) - N50-600-EB11

The motherboard is pretty much the same as your picture minus a few minor things.

The PCIe x16 is connected to the video card, 1 M.2 connector is connected to the wireless card, and the other M.2 connector is free and available to use. How can I know if that M.2 connector the SATA, PCIe (NVMe) or can support both for SSD? The reason is I want to get the Samsung EVO970 which is NVMe... And I need to know if my M.2 is still like your picture where it supports both! Maybe mine would be different?

Thank you
    Hi,
    Yes, you can install a M.2 NVMe SSD or a M.2 SATA SSD in that slot.
  • Blammo1494
    Blammo1494 Member Posts: 2 New User
    hi brummyfan2, is there a maximum size of m.2 nvme ssd that we can use in that slot?
  • brummyfan2
    hi brummyfan2, is there a maximum size of m.2 nvme ssd that we can use in that slot?
    Hi,
    Recommended maximum size is 256GB but I have seen others installing larger SSDs in other models, so you can install a larger SSD at your own risk.
  • Blammo1494
    Blammo1494 Member Posts: 2 New User
    that's too bad … I was hoping for at least 512G. I'm glad i waited for your answer before i bought it. Thanks
  • Lapjun
    Lapjun Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Would a Gen 4 NVMe be compatible? Or only a Gen 3?
  • Curt15
    Curt15 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I want to do this as well however I have no clue where to find the mounting screw for this motherboard can anyone direct me in the right direction? It wasn’t in my mother board when I cracked it open
  • MrJosephIssa
    MrJosephIssa Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Number 19 Code PCIe 16, is it 3.0?