MacBook Pro 2015 docked to Acer H277HU not able to detect external SSD through USB 3.0

nataliew
nataliew Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
I have my MacBook Pro docked to the H277HU monitor through HDMI and would like to be able to keep my external SSD connected to the monitor as opposed to my laptop. However, my MacBook can't seem to detect the SSD when it's connected to the monitor through the USB 3.0 port. The external SSD is a Samsung T5 Portable 1tb. It shows that it's receiving power from the USB port/monitor but my laptop doesn't detect it. I've also tried connecting my Logitech keyboard and mouse through their unified receiver in the same USB port, but my MacBook doesn't detect those either. Is it something in the settings that I am overlooking? Could I have a defective monitor? I have seen people use the USB 3.0 port with this same monitor to connect external storage and keyboard/mouse so I know it's possible. Would I need to connect to the monitor through USB-C instead of HDMI- could that have something to do with it?

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Hi @nataliew

as per the user manual for acer Monitor H277HU looks like it does not support for ext SSD or HDD.

(4) USB 3.1 Type-C Cable (Optional, USB Type-C input models only)
    Connect one end of the USB Type-C™ cable to the monitor and the other end
    to your computer or mobile device.
    (5.) USB 3.1 Type-A port (Optional, Type-A input models only)
    Connect one end of the USB Type-A cable to a port on your monitor and the
    other end to your peripheral devices (mouse, USB hub, etc.). To use the USB 3.1
    Type-A port on the monitor, please complete step (4) first.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    I wonder if it's just a power budget issue. If you connect a powered USB hub and then the drive does it work?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.