Acer VN7-791g Shutting down during heavy loads. Need help

Options
JoshC
JoshC Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I have an Acer VN7-791g with these specifications.
- NVDIA GTX 960M
-i7- 4720HQ 
-16 GB RAM + 1 TB HDD
I've had this laptop for about two years now and have been gaming with it without any issues. However it has begun to shut down during heavy loads (Gaming). At first I was sure it was due to overheating. I disassembled the laptop and cleaned the heat sink and fans with compressed air. Next I reapplied the thermal paste with Artic Silver Ceramique 2. I saw a temperature drop from the CPU and GPU from 90C to around 80-85C. However the laptop is still shutting off. I reinstalled windows 10 by resetting my PC to no avail. Is it possible this issue may not be an overheating issue? I've had no problems with gaming until now. Thank you in advance for your time. Would gladly appreciate any advise. 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does this happen when the notebook is connected in AC mode, ie connected to the electrical power, or occurs only when the battery is connected?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JoshC
    Options
    @egydiocoelho
    This happens when the battery is plugged in. It also when the battery is not plugged in. I was able to play Overwatch for 5 min using the battery before it shut off at around 75-80C for CPU and GPU.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    1) Make sure that when you open the notebook, you have connected all the cables and are properly seated, including the cpu fan and also remove the rtc battery to reset the bios! Then connect the rtc battery again!

2) According to the service guide, the temperature is within normal range!

3) Perform a power reset: Turn off the notebook and unplug it from the electrical outlet; turn the notebook on and find a hole with a battery symbol on the side and press it for five seconds; Leave the notebook off for five minutes!

4) Verify that the lower case screws are securely fastened, since the current notebooks have a security system, which prevents the notebook from turning on if the notebook is open and this can also happen if you have a loose screw, the which may be causing the shutdown!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JoshC
    Options
    @egydiocoelho
    Finally, got around to trying everything that you said and did some more testing. I updated my BIOS and tried the power reset. Still the issue persists however. I did more testing without the AC adapter plugged in and the games work fine with the temperatures ranging from 50-53C for both GPU and CPU. However, as soon as I plug in the AC adapter the temperatures reach 70C for GPU and CPU and thats when the laptop shuts down. This doesn't make sense because these temperatures are optimal. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the bios version? Does it just turn off on the charger or just on the battery? Did you test with another power adapter to see if the problem occurs? Is your adapter 90w or 135w? When your notebook is plugged in, your performance will always be higher than you would have only connected the battery!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer