shutdown / restart problem windows 10 Veriton X4610G

Coolenbrander
Coolenbrander Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives

Since approximately 1 year the Veriton with Windows 10 will not shutdown (occasionaly) but freezes. CTRL-ALT-DEL does not work at that point.

During updates this leads to problems when the PC freezes at 30% of the installation process. Sometimes no harm gets done when i switch off the PC with the power button, but on a few occasions the PC went into restore mode unsuccessfully and I had to reinstall windows 10. I checked the hard disk (OK), switched off quicstart (no effect) and did a fresh install of Windows 10, now at version 1803. Hardware seems OK, drivers seem OK. Apart from this, the PC works fine.

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    @Coolenbrander

It is always recommended to turn off the device using Shutdown option on the screen. By doing a hard shutdown will kill the background process and due to this the OS would not load some times. 

You can make use of acer power button from acer quick access. this would help to quickly turn off the device just by a tap.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Coolenbrander
    Coolenbrander Member Posts: 2 New User

Yes, that it how you should shutdown or restart a PC, but if the PC freezes and remains unresponsive for 24 hours there is no alternative.

My question is: what causes this behavior? It happens occasionaly, both when I try to shutdown or restart via the recommended way (windows icon), via a short touch of the on/off switch (having configured this via energy scheme) and when Windows does a planned restart during a Windows update.