Dolby audio not working anymore.

BB23482
BB23482 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I recently purchased a predator PH315-51.
Everything was running good, But yesterday my dolby audio application started showing a message - 'Plug headphones or speakers into the system audio jack to enable Dolby Audio'. I've tried everything to fix it, Restarted my laptop several times, Reinstalled realtech driver many times, Turned dolby on and off from speaker properties, Even used Tweakbit driver updater to update drivers, but nothing seems to work.
Please suggest a solution.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi, I request you to please read the below blog for getting the Dolby audio to work in your Predator. 

-*-WARNING - READ BEFORE CHANGING PREAMP-*-
    Always keep volume at middle range (50%) when changing the Preamp, as high Preamp could damage your speakers, headphones, earbuds and/or ears. By default, the Preamp is lowered to -3. Increasing it until +3 is relatively safe but be cautious of increasing it more than that without taking the previous precautions mentioned. High Preamp may also distort sound quality.

-*-The drivers must be reinstalled after every major Windows update.-*-

This is the first posting. Details and screenshots will be added and refined in the future. We will be able to post our own equalizer profiles for best audio settings as well, as we mess with it. The settings are stores in *\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt.

Basic Device Setup:

1. Make sure the audio device you want to use/modify/test is connected.
    2. Download Equalizer APO
    a. https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
    3. During installation, I set the location to C:\EqualizerAPO because they do not give you desktop shortcuts.
    4. After the installation, you will be prompted for which audio devices you wish to use Equalizer APO for. You can choose one, or all. This can be changed later.
    5. When you choose the device(s), it may require a restart, and all Windows will disappear.
    6. Configuration:
    a. To modify the equalizer and Preamp settings, launch C:\EqualizerAPO\Editor.exe
    b. To change what devices use Equalizer, launch C:\EqualizerAPO\Configurator.exe

Laptop Speakers (includes headphone jack):

I had some difficulty getting it to change my Helios 300 (G3-571) speakers, but I found out how. Follow below:

1. After Equalizer APO installs, open the Configuration.exe.
    2. Highlight Speakers, and check the 'Troubleshooting options' button.
    3. Uncheck both 'Use original APO' buttons, and change Install as to 'Install as SFX/EFX (experimental)'
    4. Restart and it should work.
    5. Feedback is appreciated.

Frequency Table (to help with tweaking the equalizer):

Sub-Bass - 62Hz and lower
    Mid-Bass - 62-125Hz
    Upper-Bass - 125-250Hz

Lower-Mid - 250-500Hz
    Middle-Mid - 500-1kHz
    Upper-Mid - 1k-2kHz

Lower-Treble - 2k-4kHz
    Middle-Treble - 4k-8kHz
    Upper-Treble - 8kHz and higher

SOURCE: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535036/faq-cpu-gpu-temps-fps-settings-other-info/p1

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    BB23482 

Please try the below mentioned steps :
    >>>>Open Device Manger, find your audio device, right-click it, and go to Update driver software and check for any updated drivers.
    Please check if you have this option in Realtek HD Audio Manager. Go to Search, type realtek hd audio manager, and open Realtek Audio HD Manager. Go to the Speakers tab, and click the folder under Device Advanced settings. Select Disable front panel jack detection. Restart your computer.
    Also, check the audio service.
    >>>>Go to Search, type services.msc, and open Services. Find the Windows Audio service. If this service is not enabled, right-click it, and select Start. If it’s enabled, right-click it and select Restart.
    >>>>You  can also use the SFC scan to deal with various system issues in Windows. 
    Go to Search, type cmd, right-click Command Prompt, and go to Run As Administrator
    Enter the following command, and press Enter: sfc/scannow
    Wait for the process to finish. Restart your computer
    >>>>So, if none of the solutions from above managed to solve the problem, you should try with the Troubleshooter:
    Go to the Settings app. Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Click Playing Audio, and go to Run the troubleshooter. Follow further on-screen instructions. Restart your computer.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist u further.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • BB23482

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    BB23482 

Please try the below mentioned steps :
    >>>>Open Device Manger, find your audio device, right-click it, and go to Update driver software and check for any updated drivers.
    Please check if you have this option in Realtek HD Audio Manager. Go to Search, type realtek hd audio manager, and open Realtek Audio HD Manager. Go to the Speakers tab, and click the folder under Device Advanced settings. Select Disable front panel jack detection. Restart your computer.
    Also, check the audio service.
    >>>>Go to Search, type services.msc, and open Services. Find the Windows Audio service. If this service is not enabled, right-click it, and select Start. If it’s enabled, right-click it and select Restart.
    >>>>You  can also use the SFC scan to deal with various system issues in Windows. 
    Go to Search, type cmd, right-click Command Prompt, and go to Run As Administrator
    Enter the following command, and press Enter: sfc/scannow
    Wait for the process to finish. Restart your computer
    >>>>So, if none of the solutions from above managed to solve the problem, you should try with the Troubleshooter:
    Go to the Settings app. Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot. Click Playing Audio, and go to Run the troubleshooter. Follow further on-screen instructions. Restart your computer.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist u further.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Tried everything but nothing working. 
    I got one lead. Whenever i fresh install audio drivers from product page of acer, Dolby works till realtek installer says to restart pc. When i click restart PC, dolby again stops working. 
  • BB23482

Tinkerer

BB23482 said:
    Everything was running good, But yesterday my dolby audio application started showing a message - 'Plug headphones or speakers into the system audio jack to enable Dolby Audio'. I've tried everything to fix it, Restarted my laptop several times, Reinstalled realtech driver many times, Turned dolby on and off from speaker properties, Even used Tweakbit driver updater to update drivers, but nothing seems to work.
    EDIT:
  • NitroALW
    NitroALW Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi, I got the exact same problem on my Acer Nitro 5. How do I fix this issue?
  • If your reinstalling Realtek and it works fine until reboot... then simply "rollback" the driver in device manager after it auto updates on reboot.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Minchev
    Minchev Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2018
    Hi,
    I have the exact same problem and i'm using predator helios 300 2018 (PH-315-51). Today dolby audio simply stopped working. I tried every sudgestion listed above (including manually uninstalling the realtek audio driver and installing it again and nothing helps! I've also discovered that after reinstalling the audio driver, dolby audio works, but only until next restart of the machine. After the restart dolby audio stops working and only shows this message  "Plug headphones or speakers into the system audio jack to enable Dolby Audio". I've also tried rolling back the driver and this DOESN'T HELP.

Please, help us (your users) fix this issue.
  • kettyo
    kettyo Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same issue with an Acer Aspire A717-72G.

It must be some initilaization problem since if you disable the sound driver and then reenable it it in device manager the Dolby app starts working, no need to reinstall the drivers. After a system restart it will show the plug headphones message again but the Dolby API remembers and uses your last selection nevertheless. It is still an annoyance and hopefully will be fixed.

I think it might be related to some windows update changing the sound initialization process at bootup and the dolby app needs to be updated to adapt to this.
  • Guys, try this:1) Plug the headset into the control panel. Then click on the black icon and uncheck to remember the selection:

2) If it does not appear on the control panel, go to C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA and click ravcpl64:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JIAJUN
    JIAJUN Member Posts: 4 New User
    I also face this issue, can your try Device Manager > sound, video & game controller > right click "Realtek HD Audio" > Properties > Disable Device > Enable Device > Shut Down > Power On. Let me know if could solve your problem
  • MaxGamer
    MaxGamer Member Posts: 110 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    The same issues are present on my Nitro 5. The fix which works for me flawlessly is:
    1. Open task Manager and go to Details.
    2. Force closing these two Dolby services and then opening the Dolby App which restores the tray icon and the error also goes away. 

I don't know if its same on Predator series, but you can try.
    Don't forget to accept my answer if I was able to help you out!
    Just a tech enthusiast who tries to help other people : )

Acer Nitro AN515-52-593F ||Intel Core i5-8300H upto 4.00 GHz/GTX1050/8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM/1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD+16B Intel Optane Memory||

Acer Support: https://support.acer.com/
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    MaxGamer said:
    Hi,
    The same issues are present on my Nitro 5. The fix which works for me flawlessly is:
    2. Force closing these two Dolby services and then opening the Dolby App which restores the tray icon and the error also goes away. 

If this indeed fixes the issue on Predator laptops, then it would be a good bet to disable the service or startup for current Dolby then create a new task schedule to start the app at bootup.
    - Hotel Hero
  • MaxGamer
    MaxGamer Member Posts: 110 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @Red-Sand Sounds good. Let us see if this works for the Predators!
    Don't forget to accept my answer if I was able to help you out!
    Just a tech enthusiast who tries to help other people : )

Acer Nitro AN515-52-593F ||Intel Core i5-8300H upto 4.00 GHz/GTX1050/8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM/1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD+16B Intel Optane Memory||

Acer Support: https://support.acer.com/
  • kettyo
    kettyo Member Posts: 2 New User
    Actually it is enough just to restart the service "Dolby DAX2 API Service" and the app will work again. I assume if you set the startup to delayed automatic instead of automatic it will make the app work after the service is started but it will make you lose dolby functionality for the time between bootup and service start so i did not try this. You can also write a batch file to restart the service in case you use the dolby app often.
  • RG2209
    RG2209 Member Posts: 3 New User
    BB23482 said:
    I've had this issue as well today & in the past. An easy fix for me has been to go to windows services manager by typing services.msc in the run box. Then search for Dolby audio service, it's there with the name "Dolby DAX2 API Service", right click & stop it, hit ok. Then simply click on Dolby audio icon from the system tray & voila, it should be active & the service should be running automatically now. This is what worked for me. Give it a shot!! Cheers.

Below SS for reference - 

• Krishnakishorekn
    Krishnakishorekn Member Posts: 1 New User
    BB23482 said:
    Please follow these instructions:

Go to the search bar and type services, Search for DolbyDAX2 API Service, I hope you'll find it, and then right click on it and click the restart option and 'Dolby AUDIO' should be running fine. If this doesn't help then try reinstalling the Realtek driver and follow the above instruction.

I hope this helps resolve your problem.
  • KO
    KO Member Posts: 1 New User
    MaxGamer said:
    Hi,

Thanks man I was really worried about the problem but your solution was the easiest and it solved the problem in an instant...