ACER ED242QRA FreeSync not available

lyubenski
lyubenski Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
I just bought this lovely monitor but for whatever reason I cannot turn the FreeSync in my Radeon Settings, where it says that the monitor does not support it. I have connected the monitor with the included DP cabel, running Windows 10. I tried looking for drivers but the available ones are for slighthly different monitor (ED242QR) and only for win7/8 - I tried those as well but windows wouldnt use them. Any advice how to proceed?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    lyubenski 

There is no option in the Acer OSD setting to enable other than making sure DP format in your monitors settings is set to "1.2". FreeSync will then automatically be enabled.

If you have installed the monitor driver, download the latest AMD crimson driver. Install it, then restart your computer.
    You will now need to install the Acer driver for your monitor so when you look in windows device manager it doesn't just say "generic PnP monitor".
    Install the monitor driver manually. Since Acers driver is not signed, you will need to disable Windows driver signature enforcement (instructions to do this for Win8 or Win10) to install it.Now that driver signature enforcement is disabled, Download, Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.  Open Device Manager, Expand the section that needs the driver or device with yellow exclamation mark. Right-click and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located. Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed. Restart your computer. 

So now you should have the Acer driver and newest AMD Crimson driver is installed on your pc. lets make sure you have freesync enabled in the crimson radeon settings (right click desktop -> AMD Radeon settings -> Display -> click the AMD FreeSynce toggle on).
    The last step is to switch your monitor to 144hz in windows. Right click the desktop -> Display settings -> advanced display settings -> Display adapter properties -> click on the Monitor tab -> select Screen refresh rate -> select 144 Hertz -> Click "Apply". 

Now go open a game and FreeSync should be working. To verify Freesync is working on your monitor besides the game no longer tearing. Open the Menu/OSD while in game and scroll down to the 'i" or information tab and you will see the Vertical refresh or "V:" alternating its number to match your FPS. 

Have fun and I hope this helps a lot of you out there!

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • lyubenski
    lyubenski Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for the quick response.

I was able to succesfully install the drivers and update the AMD drivers, then rebooted the PC but unfortunately still the same status. I could not find drivers for win10, so I went with the ones for win 8(64 bit), could this be the problem? Also my monitor is ED242QRA, not ED242QR, for which I found the drivers!