BIOS 1.06 for SA5-271

Options
Canadaloon
Canadaloon Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi, has anyone tried the new BIOS update yet. V. 1.06 for the SA5-271 was released July 16th and I couldn't find any posts on it. Any information on what it does?

Thanks for any help or info. I remember that the last update was pulled so I am being cautious with this one.

Cheers, Canadaloon

Love my Switch Alpha 12!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In my opinion, the ME update isn't 'needed' for anything and certainly not the update for fixing its alleged overhyped spectre vulnernability. The simple straightforward plain-language justifications for risking a brick to fix these alleged problems in a functional machine have never been elucidated to a point anyone with a reasonable level of common tech sense  could understand them. Not on this user board anyway. Accordingly, my own Switch Alpha, which is running dual boot Mint & Win10 just fine, will never be a test ground for satisfying my own curiosity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    What problems are you having with machine under your current BIOS firmware version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Canadaloon
    Options

Hi Jack, my laptop is working fine but I was wondering if the update fixed the intel processor security issues. I was asking to see if there were any issues with the update and whether anyone knew what it "fixed." I won't update unless there's a good reason to. If it ain't broke why fix it! Just my curiosity at work. Do you have any info on the update?

Love my Switch Alpha 12!

• JackE
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with it if it were mine unless one of my important online services that depend on its security key feature (revoked) was giving me problems.  https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51890   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Canadaloon
    Options

Hi Jack, I noticed on that page that the SA5-271 is listed as needing a Intel Management Engine (ME) firmware upgrade  which beyond "my building computers since 1990" level of understanding. What is ME?

I found that V.1.06 was released to fix Spectre. < https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53104/related/1 > What kind of online services require the security feature you mentioned? Thanks for any answers.

Cheers, Mike

Love my Switch Alpha 12!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In my opinion, the ME update isn't 'needed' for anything and certainly not the update for fixing its alleged overhyped spectre vulnernability. The simple straightforward plain-language justifications for risking a brick to fix these alleged problems in a functional machine have never been elucidated to a point anyone with a reasonable level of common tech sense  could understand them. Not on this user board anyway. Accordingly, my own Switch Alpha, which is running dual boot Mint & Win10 just fine, will never be a test ground for satisfying my own curiosity. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Canadaloon
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the link egydiocoelho . I agree Jack. The previous V. 1.05 was dropped for causing problems. I don't want to do the work of recovering my Switch Alpha for an issue that is very hard to understand how it affects me. Btw, I am running 1.04 with no issues. Thanks for the comments. Mike.

Love my Switch Alpha 12!

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I am running 1.04 with no issues>>>

Heh-heh. I'm running the original v1.00 2016 vintage with no Mint or Win10 issues either ---- yet. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ