Best cable connection for a ET430K?

Options
Onticom
Onticom Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
I'm currently connecting this monitor to my GPU (Inno3D 1070) with a DisplayPort cable. I was under the impression this was the clear best option.

Due to problems I'm having with the monitor, I've been researching options, and I've seen that many people are using HDMI.

What is the best connection to choose for this monitor?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Options
    Hi, Your Acer monitor ET430K is a best featured 4K monitor. 

Here's a quick summary of the connection types:
    • HDMI: Audio and video signal, best for TV to PC connections.
    • DVI: Video only, perfect for older systems or for 144Hz at 1080p.
    • DisplayPort (DP): The best connector for an audio and video signal, and can transmit 144Hz up to 4K.
    • VGA: Old, legacy video connector. Only to be used when nothing else available.
    • USB Type-C: Newest audio, video, data and power connector. The best laptop connection.

Considering the cables used, 
    Display Port cables are often labeled with a version number—like 1.1 or 1.2—the specification was designed in such a way that all certified DP cables are compatible with all DP displays. Going with a certified Display Port cable should ensure proper compatibility and the best overall experience. Unfortunately, there are many un-certified DP cables in the wild—some of which were even bundled with displays from large, well-known manufacturers. And wouldn’t you know it, these un-certified cables had a defect that could cause all sorts of issues.
    dp cable

Not all DisplayPort cables are created equal. A number of non-certified DisplayPort cables feature misconfigured wiring that causes all sorts of weird behavior.

Many of the uncertified DP cables connect pin 20, which may cause voltage to be back-fed into your system. Other fun prospects: The video card and display may randomly go out of sync, USB devices (like keyboards or mice) may light up when the system is powered off, or your PC may even exhibit general system instability. Uncertified DP cables may also not push the bandwidth necessary to drive a 4K display at a full 60Hz, forcing you to use a lower refresh rate.

If your new 4K display is randomly exhibiting any of these issues, the first thing to do is try a new, DisplayPort-certified cable.

HDMI is trickier: While some 4K monitors support HDMI, the version of HDMI supported by most graphics cards—HDMI 1.4—locks 4K output at a choppy 30Hz. The newer HDMI 2.0 spec supports a full 60Hz at 4K resolution, assuming both your monitor and your graphics card support it. Nvidia’s new 900-series graphics cards support HDMI 2.0. In general, however, it’s easier to drive a 4K monitor using a DisplayPort connection at this time.

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Onticom
    Onticom Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    Thanks @Balatekie

DO you know whether the ET430K would benefit at all from HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1? Or is the much-easier-to-source HDMI 2.0 cabling as good a solution?
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Options
    Hi Onticom, Thx for your query. I would like to explain briefly. 

HDMI 2.0 gets you 4K resolution and frame rates of at least 60. More importantly, it gets you HDCP 2.2, the copy-protection protocol, so you can actually watch 4K content sent from an external device (like a Roku or 4K Blu-ray player). 

Version HDMI 2.0a was a small update, adding support for high dynamic range (HDR). 

Version HDMI 2.0b - Most of "b" is a carryover from "a" and "_" versions of 2.0, with some refinements, most notably Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG). This is a different way to transmit HDR content. The only reason 2.0b is worth mentioning is it's being implemented on 2017 TVs & monitor instead of HDMI 2.1.

HDMI VERSIONS COMPARED

HDMI VersionMax ResolutionMax 4K Frame rateHDCP 2.2HDRWCGHybrid Log GammaDynamic Metadata
    1.44K30HzNoNoNoNoNo
    2.04K60HzYesNoNoNoNo
    2.0a4K60HzYesYesYesNoNo
    2.0b4K60HzYesYesYesYesNo
    2.110K120HzYesYesYesYesYes

Verdict:- It is recommended to use HDMI 2.0 (...later) version for getting max resolution with max frame rate per seconds. 

To know about HDMI 2.1, please have a look to the website https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what-you-need-to-know/
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)