HELIOS 300. Some keys stopped working after I cleaned my keyboard with efoam. HELP

Palvz
Palvz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Today I cleaned my keyboard on my helios 300,after I was done cleaning I powered on my laptop and the first thing I noticed is that the NumLck led light wasnt as bright as usual, then i noticed that the keys "d" "y" and "4" weren't working. What can I do? 
Ps. Whenever i press any other key besides those 3 , the led on the NumLck brightens up more.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi, Leave the computer off for a day. Once it completely dry, power on the unit and check. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Palvz

Tinkerer

Balatekie dijo:
    Hi, Leave the computer off for a day. Once it completely dry, power on the unit and check. 
    Yeah gonna try that, would you recommend to use a hair dryer to try and get all the moisture out?

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    A hair dryer producing heat may cause more issues then solve. Also a hair dryer on cool may help but it's best to leave it be for as long as possible to remove residual moisture.

You can also get a large container and put rice inside and place the laptop on top of the rice and close the container. Do not cover the laptop in rice just let it sit on top.

Again the best solution is to give it time to dry out. A chemical compound will take longer to dry then water would.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Palvz

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    A hair dryer producing heat may cause more issues then solve. Also a hair dryer on cool may help but it's best to leave it be for as long as possible to remove residual moisture.

You can also get a large container and put rice inside and place the laptop on top of the rice and close the container. Do not cover the laptop in rice just let it sit on top.

Again the best solution is to give it time to dry out. A chemical compound will take longer to dry then water would.
    can I use the laptop with an external keyboard? or should I leave if off? how many days should I wait?
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Palvz said:
    Red-Sand said:

can I use the laptop with an external keyboard? or should I leave if off? how many days should I wait?
    Leave your laptop turned off.  Do not even charge it.
    The amount of time waiting depends on how much excess liquid is in your keyboard.

Supplying power to the laptop with liquid on electrical connections will fry that component even if it's not being "used".

This is all dependent on the hope that you have not already fried those connections when you first turned it on.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    1. Never get any liquids or moisture near electronics. Moisture is their worst enemy!
    2. When in doubt, stop using it immediately, and give it time to dry out.

Even a tiny wee bit of moisture/wetness can fry electronics beyond repair.

Use compressed air. Or alcohol swipes... making sure it is not excessively wet to the point of dripping.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045