Swift 3 Ryzen - anyone tried new BIOS 2.03??

ajm
ajm Member Posts: 24 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Just noticed a new BIOS is out here, https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7487?b=1&pn=NX.GV7EK.008
Only changelog is "Updates SMU version to improve system stability"

Anyone tried it on a Ryzen Swift 3?

Last two BIOS updates caused serious problems so I'm not updating without somebody else confirming it's good.

Thanks!

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi, The new update for BIOS released on 16th July 2018 is mainly to update the SMU version, which improves system stability. Also this increases VRAM 256MB to 1024MB. Please have a look to the blog 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/91bqux/new_bios_for_acer_swift_3_ryzen_7_2700u_updates/
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• noy030887
    noy030887 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have a problem when updating the BIOS to version 2.03, RAM speed drops to 1333 MHz, I downgrade to version 1.04 the RAM speed returns to 2400 MHz

1. BIOS Version 2.03

2. BIOS Version 1.04

• widvannanda
    widvannanda Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a problem after updating the BIOS to version 2.03, RAM speed drops to 1333 MHz and some game like gta 5 only reads 1 GB dedicated of memory GPU
  • ajm
    Wow thanks for the replies. Looks like another bios release to avoid. What a joke this is.  Brand new laptop with ancient drivers and broken bios.
  • rzico1965
    rzico1965 Member Posts: 1 New User
    swift 3 sf314-54 failed to make a recovery usb drive,,,any help and suggestion 
    thanks
  • Ecip
    Ecip Member Posts: 84 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Can someone confirm that indeed the new BIOS update downclocks the RAM to 1333Mhz?
  • flux
    flux Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited September 2018
    Hi, I'm using version 2.03 also and here is what I get from HWiNFO:

But from task manager I get the value 1333MHz. It is confusing though since which one is correct. From what I read on the internet the 1200MHz is correct since DDR will double the data rate to 2400MHz.

So far my system is stable on 2.03.

Regards,
  • Ecip
    Just installed the new BIOS.... memory clock speed was 2400Mhz on the 1.03, now is 1333Mhz on 2.03. What gives? Why is this so?
  • noy030887
    noy030887 Member Posts: 4 New User
    can anyone explain?
    will acer have a bios update fix this problem?
  • ajm
    Has anyone who installed it reported the issue? If not, don't expect a fix...
  • Ecip
    ajm said:
    Well, this -is- the official acer support forum. People that report issues here should be immediately forwarded to higher ups. If not then the whole system is flawed.
  • ajm
    Ecip said:
    ajm said:
    Well, this -is- the official acer support forum. People that report issues here should be immediately forwarded to higher ups. If not then the whole system is flawed.
    Yeah I agree Ecip,  it should, but I don't think that does actually happen.  Where as if you make a report it definitely does. 
  • Ecip
    ajm said:
    Ecip said:
    ajm said:
    Yeah I agree Ecip,  it should, but I don't think that does actually happen.  Where as if you make a report it definitely does. 
    Do you have a link to this report form? All I find is phone numbers, FAQ's, etc.
  • ajm
    Ecip said:
    ajm said:
    Ecip said:
    ajm said:
    Do you have a link to this report form? All I find is phone numbers, FAQ's, etc.
    I think this is what I used

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/ask

Most likely you won't get anywhere with the first level of support, so in that case ask for the incident to be escalated. Those guys actually seemed to know what they were talking about and understand the issue I reported.

• Ecip
    ajm said:
    Ecip said:
    ajm said:
    Ecip said:
    ajm said:
    I think this is what I used

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/ask

Most likely you won't get anywhere with the first level of support, so in that case ask for the incident to be escalated. Those guys actually seemed to know what they were talking about and understand the issue I reported.

right on, thanks.

On another note, I made the noob mistake of setting a BIOS password, not using it for months, and now having forgotten it. After 3 attempts of the password, BIOS is asking for an unlock code to a specific key that it gives me. Any idea where to find the code to the key?
  • ajm
    Hey guys,  just thought I'd give you all a heads up that 2.11 is out.

Changelog (useless)

Updates AMD SMU version

Maybe they've fixed the memory speed issue?

• Ecip
    edited October 2018
    ajm said:

Changelog (useless)

Updates AMD SMU version

Just flashed it.. memory still shows at 1333Mhz.. not sure what the updates are other than what the description says... is there no proper change log?
    I assume it just updated AMD firmware.
  • Levi21xD
    Levi21xD Member Posts: 62 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Ecip said:
    ajm said:

Changelog (useless)

Updates AMD SMU version

Just flashed it.. memory still shows at 1333Mhz.. not sure what the updates are other than what the description says... is there no proper change log?
    I assume it just updated AMD firmware.
    where did you check the memory
  • Levi21xD
    Levi21xD Member Posts: 62 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    never mind, i checked hwinfo and it showed 1197 .. that is 1200 im assuming its 1200mhz per channel.. we got dual channel so total 2400mhz is it not?
    and i got the laptop with 2.03 bios so i didnt know it showed as 2400 on task manager.. do any of you feel any performance difference, for me everything seems to be just fine except that its bothering me whether im getting what i paid for
  • bremya
    bremya Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm still on 1.02 BIOS aka haven't updated the driver since I bought this laptop, and this is what I get on HWiNFO, CPU-Z and task manager:
    so I guess... it's still the same? I'm not an expert of this particular subject, though
    should I update the BIOS?