is it possible to change win10 key from home to pro without reinstalling windows??

asad814
asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
recently i bought win 10 pro key bcz it was on sale...now i was wondering if i could change the product key? i dont want to reinstall the windows because there are some custom apps that acer design for the laptop like predator sense, acer care center etc so i dont want to lose them....please help thanks

Best Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Yes. I did this, and it is actually very simple process.

Right click on This PC --> Properties --> Change Product Key --> enter new key --> it will register the key, and download pro components.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The original serial is recorded on the bios, so it can not be changed! That's why you want to go back to factory windows, just press alt + f10 when you turn on the notebook, because there is a recovery partition on hd! You can upgrade to windows 10 pro with your key so you will not miss the old serial!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• sri369
    Answer ✓
    Yes. I did this, and it is actually very simple process.

Right click on This PC --> Properties --> Change Product Key --> enter new key --> it will register the key, and download pro components.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • asad814
    are you sure it will not delete my files??
  • sri369
    asad814 said:
    are you sure it will not delete my files??
    I did not lose any files. Not even settings. It just added the new features.

But, given how weird windows 10 can be, I would always recommend taking backup of personal files.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • asad814
    and when i activate to pro version...can i go back to home version using the preinstalled key???
  • Yes you can because you are just updating windows and not formatting hd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The original serial is recorded on the bios, so it can not be changed! That's why you want to go back to factory windows, just press alt + f10 when you turn on the notebook, because there is a recovery partition on hd! You can upgrade to windows 10 pro with your key so you will not miss the old serial!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sri369
    asad814 said:
    and when i activate to pro version...can i go back to home version using the preinstalled key???
    The BIOS is pretty much locked with the key of the default version that was bundled with the laptop. My bios does not reflect the Pro key at all, though it is upgraded to Pro.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------