Chromebook tab 10 won't charge

Options
Ondrej_Stehlik
Ondrej_Stehlik Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, i have a problem. When my Chromebook tab 10 fully discharge can not charge or power up. if I plug in a charger, nothing happens, only blinks twice LED and nothing more. Is there any solution? Thanks a lot for answers

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Options
    Hi, Sorry to know that your Chromebook does not charge or power on. As battery drained completely, it is hard for lithium battery to get charged again. As a workaround I request you to try below steps. 

1. Unplug the charger. 
    2. Press & hold power button and volume up button in tablet. 
    3. Continue 
    holding those buttons, plug in the charger. 
    Hold buttons for another 30 seconds. 
    Release power button keeping volume button pressed. 

Now, the 
    Tab should charge. Hope with crossed fingers. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Ondrej_Stehlik
    Ondrej_Stehlik Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Balatekie said:
    Hi, Sorry to know that your Chromebook does not charge or power on. As battery drained completely, it is hard for lithium battery to get charged again. As a workaround I request you to try below steps. 

1. Unplug the charger. 
    3. Continue holding those buttons, plug in the charger. 
    4. Hold buttons for another 30 seconds. 
    5. Release power button keeping volume button pressed. 

Now, the Tab should charge. Hope with crossed fingers. 
    Thanks for quick answer. I try it few times.
    XhromeChro now just red blinking. On the first plug in and relasing display alwas white blink, but after this nothing happened - again only red blinking. I try to leave tablet red blinking for few minutes, doesn't help. Try few times hold buttons down - red blinking change to orange continuous light, but also doesn't make anything after that. 
  • Grouch1
    Grouch1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I purchase a new Chromebook Tab 10 with a build date back in June of this year (2018) and it started up just fine. I usually shut down, not sleep, my Chromebook laptops so at first I did that with the Chromebook Tab 10 tablet. Then I thought "well I don't have to shut down every time with my iPad so I'll just put the Tab 10 into sleep mode instead". Imagine my surprise when it died in its sleep and wouldn't recharge. With the factory charger (multi-voltage charging rates, typical of USB C fast charging), with a Dell USB C charger (also with multi-voltage) or even with the humblest, simplest Apple power cube for trickle charging. No key combinations worked to revive it, including the instructions in this thread.

Worse yet, Acer's service depot failed to properly diagnose or fix the ongoing problem when I sent it in for repair. They noted "charged to 70% and ChromeOS updated" on the return sheet but guess what - they apparently didn't shut it off before shipping and it went into brick mode by the time it arrived back home. So, they have some "secret" way to revive starved batteries, but the chat help system wouldn't share it, just said send it back again.

It is very frustrating. The screen is good and it is a potential alternative to an iPad, but there must be a hardware or firmware defect in there that allows some units to exceed the safe discharge level in "sleep" mode, and that refuses even to trickle charge (3 days and no signs of life) back to life. 

What an epic fail. What a half-baked hardware effort. What a failure on the service depot end to not run it down to empty after their revival efforts to see if the problem has been solved or not. I mean a ChromeOS device you can't safely run down to zero? My kid does that ALL the time to his iPads, I do it once in a while to mine, and while they refuse to turn on until recharged, they NEVER fail to recharge. These things are supposed to completely shut down before going into brick mode. Way before brick mode should even be possible.
  • schooldude
    schooldude Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hoping someone has found the solution to this little problem. I work for a school district and we have been introducing the tablets to the classroom very successfully with the exception of this little issue. I have several tablets sitting on my desk that just stopped working. As the charge is run out of them they simply stop responding. When plugged in I get nothing. No lights, no power, no anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • swuzy
    swuzy Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have the same problem with my dead non charging Acer Tab 10 Chromebook !  
    Acer, please quickly post a workable fix.

Otherwise this issue will soon go to more public review sites (Amazon, New Egg, Walmart, etc.) and quickly impact your sales of this otherwise good product.
  • cezen
    cezen Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
     I work for a school district, my Acer tab 10 Chormebook won't turn on totally dead. I have No lights, no power, no anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried the instructions below but no luck.

1. Unplug the charger. 

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Options
    cezen said:
     I work for a school district, my Acer tab 10 Chormebook won't turn on totally dead. I have No lights, no power, no anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried the instructions below but no luck.

1. Unplug the charger. 

Hi, 

It seems to be hardware issue with the Chromebook. If your product is under warranty, I recommend you to please contact Acer technical Support in your region https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ and look for options. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• AliTechKy
    AliTechKy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I work for a school district too. We have been introducing chromebooks since 2013 and now we are going 1 to 1 with them for students. We recently purchased around 20 of this chromebook tabs for kindergarden students. We are trying them and we prefer them over iPads or any other tablet. However it is very discouraging that Acer hasn't come out with a easier solution to this problem instead to having to send them back for repair. It seems to me that this is a firmware problem that is causing the battery to fully discharge. 
  • hykwtakumin
    hykwtakumin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi, friends!

I was able to solve this problem by myself, so let me explain the knowledge

Breaking the connection between the battery and the main board is the biggest cause of this problem.
    In this terminal, the connector between the battery and the main board (red rect in fig1) is not soldered,
    so it can be easily detached with a slight impact.

So, if you can not charge, it is recommended to check the condition of the connector first.
    tab10 does not use bolts or adhesives in assemble, so it can be easily disassembled using commercial tools.
    Also, disconnected connectors can be easily reconnected.

If its helpful then im happy
  • kgarnerncsu
    kgarnerncsu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi, friends!

I was able to solve this problem by myself, so let me explain the knowledge

Breaking the connection between the battery and the main board is the biggest cause of this problem.
    In this terminal, the connector between the battery and the main board (red rect in fig1) is not soldered,
    so it can be easily detached with a slight impact.

So, if you can not charge, it is recommended to check the condition of the connector first.
    tab10 does not use bolts or adhesives in assemble, so it can be easily disassembled using commercial tools.
    Also, disconnected connectors can be easily reconnected.

If its helpful then im happy
    Thank you so much for posting this. I had the same issue on my daughter's unit -- when I opened it up I saw the connector only halfway attached. As soon as I pushed on it, it connected and the device booted up like normal. I'm guessing she jostled a little more than intended, which is a little disappointing since I bought this thinking it was designed for education market and knowing how rough kids are with these things.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Best bet is to use a short piece of strong tape over the connector once it's fully seated and that will give a little extra protection.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SteveBrooklyn
    SteveBrooklyn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    The power button and volume button solution worked for me. the Chromebook is charging again.
This discussion has been closed.