G3-571 1440p Screen Upgrade and Function Key Toggle

Mine_Man
Mine_Man Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I just purchased my G3-571 a couple of weeks ago from the local exchange.  It was the only laptop with a GPU larger than a 1050ti and it was also at a good price so I snatched the last one.  Mine unfortunately only came with 8gb of RAM and a 1TB spinny drive.  I ordered a 250gb m.2 drive, 250gb SSD, as well as an extra 8gb stick of RAM(same make and model as the original stick in my laptop), but I would like to upgrade my screen.  I've already seen a bunch of posts about folks upgrading to the newer spec screen with 120hz refresh rate, but has anybody upgraded one of these to 1440p or 4k?  I'd prefer 1440p over 4k since this thing isn't really hardcore enough for 4k, but I haven't seen anywhere where anybody's already done it.  Any pointers?

I've contacted both the Acer chat line and the Acer support line in regards to my function keys and neither of them had an answer for me.  Essentially, I'd like to switch the "Fn" key over to a toggle key that way I don't have to hold down the Fn key every time I want to activate one of the function keys.  I so rarely use the F keys at the top that it wouldn't be an issue for me to set them as full time function keys.  From what I've read, most laptops have an option in BIOS to change it but mine doesn't.  Acer support says mine "should" have the option but it's not there.  I even checked the BIOS version but it's the most up to date one from Acer.  Got any ideas on how to overcome this?  It's not a make or break kind of thing, just more of an inconvenience.  

Thanks!

Answers

• ihunter
    ihunter Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    144hz and 4k-40pin connector screen, on this notebook 30pin, therefore, no