Release date for Predator Helios 500 with Ryzen?

Options
Motoman
Motoman Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Can anyone tell me when the Ryzen version of the Helios 500 will be available for purchase?

Answers

• skull77
    skull77 Member Posts: 38 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I preordered it today, so I am interested too!! In my case for germany. ;-)
  • Motoman
    Motoman Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Where did you preorder it from, just out of curiosity?  It's not listed on the Acer product page...at least not in America.  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-models/laptops/predatorhelios500

• skull77
    Options
    I found it only here:

This is the only german shop where the AMD Version is listed (since the end of may).
    Delivery date not yet known (also since the end of may).
    But they got the I9 version one week ago, so I hope the Ryzen version will arrive soon.

• skull77
    Options
    Hi, notebooksbilliger said that goods receipt is specified as calendar week 33 to 34. That doesn't mean much, but it's something to hold on to.

• skull77
    Options
    I got an E-Mail from Notebooksbillerg.de today with the info, that the new goods receipt date is specified as calendar week 37. That seems plausible to me. I received the information from Acer Germany that the notebook will probably be released in the 3rd quarter.
  • skull77
    Options
    Looks like it's finally coming. Delivery date according to notebooksbilliger is since this morning 2-4 working days. We'll know next week. ;-)

• vanadium
    vanadium Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Especially interested in CPU temps with this beast. 65w TDP is surely a lot for a laptop, even for the Helios 500. I think you willl easily reach 90°C without undervolting.
  • skull77
    Options
    Jip, me too. I'll tell, when it arrives.
  • skull77
    Options
    Notebook is now on stock at notebooksbilliger in Germany. I chatted with support and he confirmed that. So I'll get mine on monday.
  • vanadium
    Options
    Given it's a 95w CPU (Ryzen 2700), if it uses the same cooling solution, i'm highly doubtful about the ability to proper cool the CPU in those conditions. The PSU will also be even more massive. Would love to see the motherboard and cooling layout.

I'm expecting this Ryzen setup to throttle a lot, achieve only slightly better performance than the 8950HK.
  • skull77
    Options
    Finaly my Predator is there. I'll play around this afternoon and report, how the Ryzen performs.
  • vanadium
    Options
    If you can remove the backpanel and take a photo, would be nice to see the internals (and compare them with the intel ones).
  • skull77
    Options
    I can only play around a little at first, but I should have the time on the weekend.

• skull77
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Cinebench and 3DMark Firestrike. I haven't changed anything. So no undervoltage and fan on auto. Everything out of the box. The first attempt on Firestrike was slightly better (over 14,000). The fan was quiet during the test. At 3DMark it had trouble recognizing the video card.
    My first game in League of Legens (full settings) stayed stable over 130 fps. Without power supply over 70 fps.

• vanadium
    Options
    What are the temperatures during the test?
  • skull77
    Options
    I didn't check the temperatures. I'll do it this evening. But the fans ran slow, so I think the notebook was relaxed.

• vanadium
    Options
    Seems like the CPU is well cooled by the Helios 500, even with a 95w TDP :)
  • skull77
    Options
    Here a Time Spy benchmark with temperature trend. Fan on auto. No undervolting etc.

• tejas
    tejas Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Options
    skull77 said:
    I preordered it today, so I am interested too!! In my case for germany. ;-)
    When do you think it will be for sale in the USA the AMD version please let me know

• skull77
    Options
    I'm afraid the AMD version won't be rolled out anymore.  In Germany it is not longer listed with Notebooksbilliger.  Not even for preorder.  Otherwise, it is apparently nowhere else to get.  For USA I wouldn't have high hopes.  But for sure only Acer knows (maybe).