Nitro AN515-51 trying to use a headset Microphone not working

Options
ALangeAndSohne
ALangeAndSohne Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi,

I have an Acer Nitro 5, I just bought an Astro A10 headset and for the life of me I can't get the microphone to work. When I plug the headset in I get the 5 options and I choose Headset, I can't figure out how to get the headset microphone to work though.

Thanks.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    ALangeAndSohne 
    What is the full model number of your laptop?
    Try using the Troubleshooter
    Go to Settings, Head over to Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Find Recording Audio, and click Run the troubleshooter
    Follow further on-screen instructions. Restart your computer

If issue persists try the below mentioned steps :
    >Re-enable the microphone in privacy settings to allow apps to use the microphone, it is not muted.
    Many computers had a kind of privacy settings reset after Microsoft’s April major update. This reset made your apps and programs not able to access your microphone. Therefore, we should give them their access / permission back.
    Open Settings from your start menu. Click on Privacy in order to access all your privacy settings.
    Select Microphone from the left pane and then click the Change button. Now, turn on microphone for this device. Turn on Allow apps to access your microphone. Finally in the app list, make sure to turn on microphone access for every app you want to give permission to access your microphone.

>Disable Audio Enhancements , Recording devices > Enhancements tab > Disable all sound effects
    >Reset Windows Audio service, Go to Search, type services.msc, and open Services.
    Find the Windows Audio service.If this service is not enabled, right-click it, and select Start. If it’s enabled, right-click it and select Restart.

If the issue still persists, you can try reinstalling the audio driver.
    Also, the Headphone/Microphone jack that Connects to audio line-out devices and accepts input from external microphone with a 3.5 mm Standard TRRS /OMTP TRRS Type.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jimster480
    Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I am using a headset on mine without a problem, do you have another headset or IEM w/ Mic you can try?
    Something like Apple earpods or any other earphone that comes with a cell phone should work. Its possible that the mic that came on your headset is bad, especially if the laptop is detecting it as a mic.
  • altidude3
    altidude3 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    The microphone has never worked on my son's an515-53. We tried several different known working headset devices. We finally gave up and went with a USB adapter so he could use a headset mic.
  • coolmannorm
    coolmannorm Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I am having this issue please send help
  • phantomkrome
    phantomkrome Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    my headset itself is not being detected before it used to ask me how i want to use my headset
    it gave five options 
    but after few weeks my microphone was not working(don't remember if there was any update)
    i have tried several headphones but the option to choose doesn't come 
    as the nitro 5 have a single aux port i use the combiner but i don't know what the issue is with-the headset,the combiner or laptop.

• Mintj72
    Mintj72 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Phantomkrome.  Did you ever get it fixed?  I have the same problem. 
  • mikeemeneses
    mikeemeneses Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi! I had the same issue with my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42.

This method worked for me.

Windows key >> Search Privacy Settings >> Microphone >> TURN ON "Allow apps to access your microphone".

Hope this helps!
  • Fernie
    Fernie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Tried everything my headset is still not picking up my voice but instead my laptop is picking it up. 
  • maddoxman04
    maddoxman04 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    same fernie i even bought a new headset and the microphone would never work
  • ItsWorkingItsWorking
    ItsWorkingItsWorking Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    micropSharanji said:
    ALangeAndSohne
    If issue persists try the below mentioned steps :
    >Re-enable the microphone in privacy settings to allow apps to use the microphone, it is not muted.
    Many computers had a kind of privacy settings reset after Microsoft’s April major update. This reset made your apps and programs not able to access your microphone. Therefore, we should give them their access / permission back.
    Open Settings from your start menu. Click on Privacy in order to access all your privacy settings.
    Select Microphone from the left pane and then click the Change button. Now, turn on microphone for this device. Turn on Allow apps to access your microphone. Finally in the app list, make sure to turn on microphone access for every app you want to give permission to access your microphone.

I have an Acer Nitro 5 with this issue: I was unable to use my microphone with different applications and I could not hear it after hitting 'listen to this device" under 'Recording' the devices the 'change system sound' aka sound settings. This step above fixed the issue. I must have unwittingly turned off access to the microphone.

Also, the driver's integration with Microsoft's sound manager is complete *****. So I downloaded Realtek's HD Audio Manager (https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software) from their website (258MB file, took forever) and installed it... so much easier to control. When I installed Realtek's I did turn off my internet connection, uninstall my sound drivers under device manager, restart PC, run Realtek setup, restart again, and then update drivers under device manager. Not sure if that was necessary or not. Might be able to just run setup and have it work but I've seen people recommend uninstalling old drivers first.

A bit easier steps for turning on microphone access in windows 10:
     - Typed in microphone under the search bar on the bottom left.
     - Clicked on microphone privacy settings.
    - Microphone access for this device is off/on ... click 'change'
    - Clicked on
    - Clicked on under 'Allow apps to access your microphone'
    - Turned on different apps that can have access
  • Juannino20
    Juannino20 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hey I have the same issue as you, i bought the Acer nitro 5  2 days ago(AN515-54) and i bought the Astro A10 headset, when i plug the headset to my Xbox or PS4 the mic and the sound works property but when i plug it to my laptop, it doesn't recognize the microphone Help me please! i tried to install new drivers of realtek but it still doesn't work
  • ProBow06
    ProBow06 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have had a Nitro before and the Microphone worked before, after a while it broke so I got a new one but for the new one, the microphone does not work for my STEALTH XP - Series. I have tried a phew things here but they do not work. I think the Nitro 5 has a headphone jack but no microphone jack.
    If the computer does not have a microphone jack is there any alternate ways I can use the mic in my headset?
    Thank you. (Plz help)
  • jande581
    jande581 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    This is how I got my headset to work. When I plug my headset into my laptop, a "which device did you plug in?" pop-up shows up. Here, I was connected to Headphones however you need to press the down arrow and click Headset then OK. I use the Acer Nitro 5 and my microphone did not work until I changed the device to headset from headphones. Hope this helps :)
  • Springwater
    Springwater Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hey there - just adding if you haven't solved it. I was having this problem but managed to get it to work by doing the following: Click the windows/start button > type realtek > open ' Realtek Audio Console ' > ' Device Advanced Settings' (at the bottom left) > change the connector retasking to ' Headset '. Should now work hopefully!

I found this online and it worked after hours of trouble shooting even getting a replacement this worked!!! Try this out and I am sure it will fix the issue.
  • sresthg5
    sresthg5 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

I finally solved my mic issue, it's not perfect but it works.

Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > HD Audio Manager(I have Realtek HD Audio drivers), double click on Analog button and set current device to headset. Now all the apps will use the headset's mic but it will still not show up in Playback and Recording devices. I hope somebody will find this helpful.