Why has my graphics card stopped working

Options
Cmcii
Cmcii Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi all,
I have and Acer Aspire 5750g laptop with an i5 2430m 2.4ghz and Nvidia Gforce 540m graphics card on the mb aswell as an intel HD graphics card
i recently upgraded my CPU to an i7-2820qm and all seem to work fine. however i noticed that the laptop was no longer using the Nvidia card and it did not even register that the card existed. After running the Nvidia wizard it displays "No Nvidia card detected". aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

so what has happed?

has the card spontaneously stopped working?
after cleaning it and reapplying thermal paste did i do it wrong?
is the Nvidia card not compatible with the i7?

i was looking on forums to help me decide what i7 to get and the i7-2820qm did come with some versions of the 5750g correct?

please help!

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It's perfectly compatible! Check the device manager if there is any problem driver and if the nvidia driver is showing up!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
    i have and it doesn't show up
  • Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
    i have just swapped back to the I5 and the Nvidia card is back.
    if the CPU is compatible i have no idea what the problem is 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Compare that the pin arrays of the I5 & I7 are identical. Try re-seating the I7 a half-dozen or so times  to assure all pins are making good contact inside the pinhole array. If still no joy, return the I7 to the vendor for a replacement or refund. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Compare that the pin arrays of the I5 & I7 are identical. Try re-seating the I7 a half-dozen or so times  to assure all pins are making good contact inside the pinhole array. If still no joy, return the I7 to the vendor for a replacement or refund. Jack E/NJ
    I checked all the pins before installing none were bent or broken, this is driving me crazy trying to figure this out, do you think re-flashing the bios would make a difference? i just cant figure out why just because i put a different cpu in it wont detect my Nvidia card, everything else works fine. is this a problem than is frequently encountered where a cpu is not compatible with a gpu?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> do you think re-flashing the bios would make a difference? >>>

No!!! Do NOT mess with the BIOS firmware of a machine that is working!!! However, you may F2 into the BIOS menu to make sure the CPU is fully recognized in the Info tab. Then press F10 to save settings and exit to see what happens. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
    ok i wont, feel like in my desperation i'm considering anything
    here is the main bios page and it only list the intel chip and not the Nvidia 
    with the i5 the the Nvida chip is listed and can be used
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>in my desperation i'm considering anything>>>

OK. Consider this. Return the I7 to the vendor as defective for either a refund or a replacement. If it was mine, I'd probably keep the I5 and get a refund on the I7 cuz the biggest bang for the buck in this 7-year-old machine would've been the SanDisk SSD that you've already installed. Next would've been to kick the RAM up to 8GB if you haven't done so already.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I agree with @JackE! However, would a bios update solve the problem, even if it was risky? Since the bios is perfectly identifying the processor and there are no random restarts on the notebook!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
     :/ well that sucks, i bought it off ebay and the seller seemed pretty genuine. The laptop is upgraded as far it can go, the last thing possible for an upgrade was the processor. i thought i would be fine by selecting a a CPU that was shipped with this model of laptop. it would seem that this is a unique problem i am having as i cant find anyone else complain of this issue. i just can get my head round that the cpu functions completely normally in every other respect.  
  • JackE
    Options
    I'm gonna guess that your 5750g's mainboard is designed for a dual core CPU, not quad core. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It seems to me that @JackE is right! It seems to be a limitation of your motherboard model! Now if both motherboards have the same chipset, can this lock be in the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Options
    >>>The laptop is upgraded as far it can go>>>

It's possible a dual core I7 like the 4600u might work if the pinouts are the same.  But I think you've already reached a practical limit as far as upgrades go. Keep the i5 in there. Don't mess with the firmware. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    I'm gonna guess that your 5750g's mainboard is designed for a dual core CPU, not quad core. Jack E/NJ

im sorry but you will have to excuse my ignorance but that doesn't mean anything to me, and if that is true why wouldn't the the whole machine not work at all? and from other forum post on here i see other people have upgraded from an i5 to an i7, i cant be the first person to put an i7 in this model.

i know you have strongly advised against modifying the BIOS but, i have seen in other forums that updating the bios can fix compatabilty issue with with graphics cards. is there no way i can flash the BIOS that came with the I7 version of this model?

i checked and all four cores are working correctly. from what i can see is that the mb is using the cpu as it should with 8 overall cores
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The problem with updating bios is that if you get a problem in the middle of the process, you may be able to condemn your motherboard!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho, from my limited perspective it looks to me that the boards between each model are very similar, is there anything i can do to make my motherboard compatible, and the fact that i can boot into the os means that it is compatible to a degree right?

• Cmcii

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho
    yes true but i have update BIOS before and i have never had a problem, make sure it has power and dont interupt it right?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I do not if it is a limitation of the chipset! some models of E1-531 notebook (chipset hm70), when the user replaced the processor, the notebook turns off after 30 minutes, precisely because it is a limitation in the chipset!
    Make sure the same thing happens with your notebook! However I think in your case it is not a chipset limitation, because the same chipset is used on all motherboards and what happens is this: all motherboards shown by @JackE have exactly the same bios! It seems to me that this really is a physical limitation of the motherboard! It could be that if you update the bios solve the problem or not! Updating a notebook's BIOS is a critical process and you could damage your notebook!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    If you choose to upgrade to bios! Do it with the core i5 and then put the core i7 and see if it solves! But we do not recommend upgrading unless you really need it and may or may not solve the compatibility issue!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Options
    >>>i know you have strongly advised against modifying the BIOS but, i have seen in other forums that updating the bios can fix compatabilty issue with with graphics cards. is there no way i can flash the BIOS that came with the I7 version of this model?>>>

The latest firmware for both dual & quad mainboards is already installed on your machine and seems to be working except for the 540M card. While the mainboards might be similar, this suggests to me that the mainboards either aren't identical or that your I7 is somehow defective if they are identical. I think the former is more likely in that the BIOS hardware is different and thus interprets the same firmware differently. It's remotely possible a firmware mod might address this but is best left to the other bios mod forums. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ