Failing SSD Causing Crashes? Or something else? - Nitro 5

bnasty5
bnasty5 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter

I bought a refurbished Acer Nitro 5 laptop a few months ago and it was great until recently it started freezing. About 10 times now it has completely frozen, mouse stuck in place, the only way to fix it is to restart.

The only hardware error that I'm suspicious of is the 128GB SSD.

Running HD Sentinel shows that the health of the SSD has fallen 20% in the 3 months I've had the laptop, the 1TB HDD is fine.

Here's two screenshots of the HD Sentinel info.

https://i.imgur.com/ZLA1xbg.png

https://i.imgur.com/04YTcd4.png

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Try updating the drivers using the driverbooster! See if this is really a driver problem!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2018
    On ssd, make sure trim is enabled with the following command fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
    If DisableDeleteNotify = 1 appears, it is not enabled; if it appears = 0, it is activated!
    To enable use this command fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0
    It optimizes and extends ssd's lifespan!
    About locking the mouse, is it just the one that hangs, or the keyboard stops working? Ever tried updating the mouse driver? Make sure that with the standard windows driver the mouse hangs! It may be that version 1803 of windows 10 caused this!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • bnasty5
    Thanks for the suggestions.

DisableDeleteNotify is set to 0 https://imgur.com/a/I0zfmFL

When it freezes it's a total system freeze, not just the mouse.

• Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2018
    Are there any devices with device manager problem? You can do a memory test by typing memory in Cortana! These freezes can also indicate some ram memory problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    Don't see any issues in device manager. I ran the windows memory diagnostic last night but the results don't show up in event viewer, I'm getting a distributedCOM error in the event viewer not sure if that's related. I'm going to run memtest86 instead and see what that shows.
  • What is the model exact of your notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    AN515-51-51T8
  • Check with crystaldiskinfo how is hd and ssd health!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    edited July 2018
    MemTest86 is done and showing no errors.

crystaldiskinfo shows the HD with no errors, the SSD 166 read errors, 253 relocated sectors.

HD Sentinel shows the SSD at 80% health, 38 data transfer errors.

• Is ssd firmware up to date?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    Is the SSD specific firmware on this page? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/7312?b=1
    I checked on the SK hynix website directly but their firmware only works for retail products.

• No! This site contains the drivers and bios for your notebook!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2018
    Have you already defragmented and done a disk scan on your SSD? Although it is not advisable to do this frequently, as ssd usually "corrects itself" because of the trim, sometimes it is necessary! Try to do a disk check in cmd as administrator using the chkdsk / f command and then have it defrag!
    You have two ssds! one from western digital (link to firmware https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=bp&fid=wdsfMB_Pro#firmware) and one from hynix (firmware http://ssd.skhynix.com/ssd/en/support/download.jsp)! Firmware upgrade is a delicate process, but it may bring fixes! Do it at your own risk!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    The 128GB SSD is sk hynix sc308,
    I've tried the firmware from here http://ssd.skhynix.com/ssd/en/support/download.jsp

The firmware won't update so I'm guessing it's current, it's 30001P10

• Commodore_1995#
    edited July 2018
    Have you done disk scanning and defragmentation? Remembering that this procedure can only be done when it is strictly necessary in SSD!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    chkdsk results;

Windows has found problems and they were all fixed online.
    No further action is required.

123749372 KB total disk space.
      88870512 KB in 186528 files.
        135688 KB in 42323 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        539436 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
      34203736 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
      30937343 total allocation units on disk.
       8550934 allocation units available on disk.

• Do this in both ssd's to fix errors!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    edited July 2018
    chkdsk shows no problems on C: or D :

Defrag done.
  • Is he still making mistakes?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bnasty5
    Not sure yet, sometimes it won't freeze for a few days than then it will randomly freeze. I'll have to wait and see. Thanks again for the help.
  • bnasty5
    Completely froze again.