WHY IS MY BRAND NEW COMPUTER SO FREAKIN' SLOW?????

Options
FATBOY246
FATBOY246 Member Posts: 3 New User
This is a message for ACER themselves and is not open for comments except by ACER. I bought a brand new Aspire E 15  E5-553-T96R with an AMD A10 7th Gen and Radeon R5 Graphics card. The sticker on the deck of the laptop has a sticker saying up to 3.30 GHz. This unit is so slow and I'm not happy about it. Even with a high end modem and high speeds from my internet provider, this unit continues to "build" webpages one ad at a time, then the actual website. It can take up to a full minute to load just one page. This has totally screwed with my productivity. I've run Norton security since I bought it and even did a "power eraser" on the computer but it came up empty. The only plausible explanation for this is that ACER has filled the computer up with useless background programs that never shut down, hindering the computer's performance. I have had this computer since February and the problems started immediately. I'm very dissatisfied with my choice of computers. I really thought ACER was better than this. I will never, ever buy another ACER product due to the performance of this useless machine. I can type faster than this thing can print it on the page. That's not a brag, I'm a slow typist, so this thing not being able to keep up with a two-fingered typist is ridiculous. ACER, you have my contact info, including my phone number. I expect to be contacted by you to address this issue. I try ACER once and this is the ***** I got to put up with. ACER doesn't even have an e-mail address for us customers to talk to them. It's like ACER doesn't want to interact with their customers.  

Best Answer

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    do yourself a favour if you feel technically competent and wipe the thing and put a fresh windows 10 image on it from a downloaded .iso from MS's site (that'll get rid of everything including acer's "helpful" stuff...).  You might have to load a few drivers afterwards (and Nortons and any 3rd party stuff you want) but it'll go like it's supposed to go (as long as there isn't a hardware fault).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you tell what is slow? If it is the startup of windows or some problem of connection to the internet? Can you be more specific?
    You can before you condemn the notebook, try to do a factory restore! To do this, press f2 when turning on the notebook and turn on the d2drecovery function and then click save on exit! Immediately press alt + f10!
    I'm not an Acer employee and I do not even respond for it, but since I posted in the community, we can help you!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Fartuan
    Fartuan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Вероятно надо протестировать компоненты компьютера!В первую очередь HDD! Было аналогично на ноутбуке жесткий диск HDD 1 TB Samsung, в кейсе работает отлично а в ноутбуке очень медленно! Поставил SSD 128 GB Transcend, теперь летает и шустрый не поспеваю за ним!
  • Catherinetldo
    Catherinetldo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    FATBOY246 said:
    This is a message for ACER themselves and is not open for comments except by ACER. I bought a brand new Aspire E 15  E5-553-T96R with an AMD A10 7th Gen and Radeon R5 Graphics card. The sticker on the deck of the laptop has a sticker saying up to 3.30 GHz. This unit is so slow and I'm not happy about it. Even with a high end modem and high speeds from my internet provider, this unit continues to "build" webpages one ad at a time, then the actual website. It can take up to a full minute to load just one page. This has totally screwed with my productivity. I've run Norton security since I bought it and even did a "power eraser" on the computer but it came up empty. The only plausible explanation for this is that ACER has filled the computer up with useless background programs that never shut down, hindering the computer's performance. I have had this computer since February and the problems started immediately. I'm very dissatisfied with my choice of computers. I really thought ACER was better than this. I will never, ever buy another ACER product due to the performance of this useless machine. I can type faster than this thing can print it on the page. That's not a brag, I'm a slow typist, so this thing not being able to keep up with a two-fingered typist is ridiculous. ACER, you have my contact info, including my phone number. I expect to be contacted by you to address this issue. I try ACER once and this is the ***** I got to put up with. ACER doesn't even have an e-mail address for us customers to talk to them. It's like ACER doesn't want to interact with their customers.  

• Catherinetldo
    Catherinetldo Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    We have the same problem, i try resetting it and then it takes really sooo much time so i restart it and then the network or the internet connection is lost???!!! How could it happen? We have a wifi here what should i do???
  • AceFan
    AceFan Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Recently I purchased a different Acer laptop with a slightly better processor. It was still slow and understand your frustration. Every time I would type there would be a delay where nothing happened. Then I would redo the action and then it would finally respond from the first action, and then do the action again. 

One simple thing you can try is using ReadyBoost. It uses a flash drive or sd card to essentially increase the RAM. When I do this I dedicate the entire flash drive or sd card to ReadyBoost. If you use a flash drive for ReadyBoost I found it best to use one of those short stubby flash drives for ReadyBoost.

Here is an old video on how to do this, but still works today:

• FATBOY246
    Options
    Sounds to me that this is a wide spread problem with ACER. Yes all my internet connections are working and a speed test reveals that I am getting the full 125 Mbps that I pay for. This is an absolutely useless computer. I had a customer service tech from my internet service provider tell me that ACER is famous for packing their computers with useless background programs that one is unable to delete or stop, and that it is the reason ACER computers run so *****. I am *****. I thought ACER made good equipment. I am on a personal campaign to warn anybody and everybody to NOT consider ACER products in their electronics shopping. And I openly tell them why. ACER products are incredibly SLOW, no matter what size processor you have. Mine is a 7th Gen A10 and one would think that, paired with my fast internet, this computer would be ridiculously fast. The ***** thing "builds" pages like it was the '90's and can easily take a full minute before the page is ready for interaction. ACER sucks ***** and make inferior products. That's all there is to it. It is my mission to take away as many potential customers from ACER as I can. Us customers can't even send the company an e-mail. They don't want to interact with their customers. ACER clearly monitors their forums but refuse to reply or defend themselves. This computer is only 5 months old and the problems started immediately. My dad bought an ACER Aspire E15 as well and he has the exact same issues. NEVER, EVER, EVER BUY ANOTHER ACER PRODUCT. And I'll be telling everybody, even strangers looking at computers in any store, to NOT buy ACER products and will happily tell them why. ACER products are *****. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Make sure your computer is slow because the disk is 100% in the task manager! Before condemning the notebook, check this out, because if it is I recommend you watch this video! It is in Portuguese but just follow the steps if it is really 100% disk problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWESrvP_uU8
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gawain
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    do yourself a favour if you feel technically competent and wipe the thing and put a fresh windows 10 image on it from a downloaded .iso from MS's site (that'll get rid of everything including acer's "helpful" stuff...).  You might have to load a few drivers afterwards (and Nortons and any 3rd party stuff you want) but it'll go like it's supposed to go (as long as there isn't a hardware fault).

• FATBOY246
    Options
    Gawain said:

This sounds more realistic and helpful. Gawain, do you believe that this action WILL work or are you not 100% sure? Please explain why. I'm more than technically competent, I just have my own doubts about doing such a drastic action. But if you give me good reason as to why this would be good, I would seriously consider it and get back to you as to how it went.
  • Gawain
    Options
    if there isn't a hardware fault, i'm 100% sure.  As you know, over time any MS OS over the years get bogged down with *****, and all that "helpful" stuff acer  (and other manufacturers) loads in the win 10 image they use is the same.   Funny thing is the pc always works faster with a fresh image than when first turned on and setup with the image from the manufacturer basically 'cause it's not loading a load of stuff you never wanted for a purpose you didn't actually have in the first place.  
  • Gawain
    Options
    just remember to back up any personal files to an external drive/usb first!
  • AceFan
    AceFan Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Gawain said:

A few weeks ago I wiped my Acer and installed a fresh version of Win10 and there was zero improvement. In the task manager, my disk was running at 100% out of the box. Installing a fresh and non-bloated version of Win10 made no improvement and was still at 100%.

The ReadyBoost trick I mentioned above did help slightly. But I was told a long time ago from someone who knows a lot about computers that the biggest bottleneck is the HDD hard drive and you can't really get over that.

Not sure about the model but for mine, I had an empty M.2 slot and I installed a 240GB NVME to run Windows and programs. It's like night and day. Now my laptop runs great and in the task manager, I never seen my disk running at more than 10%. 

If the model FATBOY246 doesn't have an M.2 then he can swap out the 2.5 SATA HDD for a 2.5 SATA SSD. The prices for 2.5 SSDs have been historically high but prices have come down significantly. Also not sure where he is located. I'm in the US where there is a great deal site called slickdeals.net to get an SSD at a good price. 
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having issues with your units.  We have several ways of contacting our support channels and are always happy to help our customer/users with a 24/7 support for US and Canada:

1. Live chat: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/chat/chat_launch/

2. Book your unit for repair and inquire about status: http://customercare.acer.com/customercare/Default.aspx

3. Free support line and ways of contact: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/service-contact

Let me just clarify, the Acer Community (Forum Discussions), were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users with their questions or troubleshooting inquiries.

Although this community is not a direct portal to Customer service, Acer employees may read the various topics posted here and you will notice that some Acer moderators may interact with members when appropriate. (case by case basis).

But primarily the community is a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc. The Acer community is not design for direct customer support consultation, case status, complaints, parts requests/orders or sponsorship/donations request, please use the appropriate channel/sources for your particular request.  

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• rmj
    rmj Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    edited December 2019
    Options
    NOTE: This might be a long post.

Now, Nov 2019 just got this Acer aspire 5 (a515-54g-70ag), thinking it's top performance as it packs i7-10510U (10th gen). With all the perks, I thought should have been better than my i3-6006u (dell) but to my surprise it performed slower than it should be. By being slow, I mean sluggish, stutters here and there, lags, freezes for about a second or just don't perform as expected.

I like this laptop, I mean I love it the time I got it 'coz it's My First from acer, except that maybe the full potential of my laptop was not utilized or it just has poorly-optimized hardwares internally.

I did, almost every possible way to somehow alleviate these issues in my discretion, namely, setting power options, uninstalling tons of unnecessary apps, freeing ram and battery reset, etc. all possible solutions I could find here and from other sources by the time being. It just does not change the fact that this is actually sluggish device and not as I expected it to be. Do note it has GeForce MX250 but, listen to this even a COD4 (Modern Warfare), lags stutters, is not even close to being smooth I even lower the graphics and resolution did optimal settings to the game. (I am not a gamer, I just did these to test the the dedicated gpu). It is also a shame that, even my AMD Athlon II, with ddr2 ram has a smoother gameplay than this. The laptop has 2666mhz ram speed, vs  yes but I don't feel a change. Given all the hardware are 100% OK, no noticeable defects, but my experience does not tell otherwise.

I am just being honest but what I am saying, this is an issue. And Acer needs to take action.

You know what, I am throwing all my hopes for all these hassles I've been through since day 1, since that day I unbox this laptop. This is fresh out-of-the-box, yet it just performed relatively slow in my honest opinion given the specs I have. I will just accept these gripes and live with it with forget about it and moved on.  I envy my i3-6006u now, seriously.
  • NickZ
    NickZ Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Is it only slow with the game or in general? If it's the game who knows but if it's in general open Windows task manager and see what resource is being used up. My guess is either memory or disk is maxing out for some reason.
  • NinederHearted
    NinederHearted Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    FATBOY246 said:
    I bought a brand new Aspire E 15  E5-553-T96R with an AMD A10 7th Gen and Radeon R5 Graphics card. 
    I've purchased SO MANY used laptops, generally Lenovos and ASUS - I'm addicted.  Anyway, while I realized that the Acer I purchased was on the low-end in terms of specs, never having had an Acer before and figuring it would be a great first "Acer experience" by which to gauge one, I purchased a 2.5GHz, 20GB RAM, 1TB HDD Acer Aspire 3 A315-51-514S 15.6" FHD i5-7200U for $220, if merely t go with my kickbutt Acer Predator YUUUGE monitor :).  Again, I was not expecting it to knock my socks off (my main being the ASUS RoG 32GB, 500 SSD/1TB HDD and my second being a 16GB 1TB Lenovo) - I thought I knew what to expect and it wasn't much.  Well, this unit is far LESS and WORSE than anything I could have been expecting.  Every 16GB Lenovo I have and have had - heck, even an 8GB that I can recall - blows it out f the water.  It takes close to two minutes to boot.  The fastest it has booted has been around 1.36m.  If I have NOTHING else but TWO browsers open with maybe two or three open tabs on each, it is unbelievably slow.  If I have one browser open with several tabs and want to do anything (such as install a third-party Defragger), it takes forever to do so.  I have "optimized" it, for whatever that is worth with IObit which I use on all my laptops and love, updated drivers, removed all 'junk' AND it really has no other installed programs other than the ones mentioned.  No games, no Photoshop ... I mean it is bare-bones ... and it BLOWS.  It IS, however, filled with all kinds of Acer programs, some of which I deleted after reading that they were safe to delete.  It is useless.

Anyway, did not mean to hijack your thread, but wanted to say that I "feel" you, and got carried away venting.  :)

Did you ever figure out a solution?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @NinederHearted  Ideally, you should create a new topic. Also, have you checked that the disk is 100% in the task manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BioWolf
    BioWolf Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Just set one of these up for the bosses new office and other than being slower than cold molasses it dies what he needs it to do. It came with 2 4GB sticks of ram in it but does anyone know if it can handle a couple of 8GB sticks or bigger if I were to upgrade it for him?

• BioWolf
    BioWolf Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Does not dies, auto correct strikes again