Acer Aspire 4315-2004 - Attempting to update BIOS to restore life & performance.

Options
KK4PGM
KK4PGM Member Posts: 5 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

WFlash Error = Open flash.sys Fail  

New here, hello everyone I hope your all doing well.
Dealing with an older but still capable Aspire 4315 here...was given to me & I enjoy giving steroids to dinosaurs so...here we go.
As stated & then some:

Acer Aspire 4315-2004
Original 530 1.73 GHz 522MHz FSB

RAM brought up from 1GB stock to 3GB

Original 80 GB HDD with plans to upgrade to SSD

Current OS is Win7 Premium 64bit

Current BIOS version 1.03

Currently have a T9900 CPU ready to swap in.....but with the trouble I keep finding in attempting to update the BIOS so I can upgrade hardware im stuck.
Ive (several times now) downloaded the latest version of BIOS Firmware availble here (VV2-115, although ive found at a 3rd party site VV2-116...eh) but continously run into the error pop-up: WFlash Error (which is the title) & inside the box it states " Open flash.sys Fail".
Ive spent many hours over the last 2 days searching & ive found that it is a common problem but has in almost true meaning....no solutions.
Ive attempted compatibility modes, run both normal & administrator permission launches but still come to the same error box.
Again, alot of googling has brought me into many forums offering "discussions" of the issue but has lead me nowhere fast.

So, I turn to you fine people with hopes that the help ive sought shall be found here.
Thanks in advance, John

Answers

• KK4PGM
    Options

As I had mentioned prior, it didnt help redownloading......& still didnt after just attempting again.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,133 Trailblazer
    Options
    KK4PGM said:

As I had mentioned prior, it didnt help redownloading......& still didnt after just attempting again.

Hi,
    Please wait for someone else to chime in or get help from a technician at a local repair shop.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It seems to me that this file can only be opened in windows xp or in windows vista!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • KK4PGM
    Options
    Would it be possible to load the updated BIOS any other way instead via in Windows application?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It's not possible! I think it is not being read by having installed windows 7 x64! From what I've seen, the bios file is x86 (32bits)!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • KK4PGM
    Options
    How would a BIOS "UPDATE" limit an OS only to 32bit coming from a previous BIOS version that allows 64bit?
    What leads you to your conclusion.....or speculation?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This notebook was made to use windows xp or vista! It's possible that the bios file, I'm not sure about it, can only be opened on those systems! However you could contact acer to get a more concrete answer about this error! I tried to open it on windows 10 and the bug remains!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Aragorn
    Aragorn Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the exact same issue with an Acer Extensa 5620Z. Specs indicate it can support 4GB of RAM (2GB+2GB) so I bought 4GB of ram exactly as per specs. It will recognize if I install just one module (2GB) but I get a BSOD if I install both. The BIOS version is 1.29. Latest available is 1.35. I tried to upgrade it but get the "WFlash error: Open Flash.sys fail". I called and spoke with Acer Tech support. They had no clue what to do.

This forum and also a Google search indicates several other people have experienced the exact same problem and the only advice being given is "try downloading the bios again.

Well, I certainly have come to one conclusion. My next computer whether laptop, desktop or tablet is definitely NOT going to be an Acer.
  • rickwookie
    rickwookie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Sorry to nec this thread, but just right-click on the XXX-nnn.exe file and select "Run as administrator". I just successfully updated the BIOS on a Travelmate 7720G from v1.16 to v1.35 doing this.