Acer EB490QK 48.5" Anyone experiencing bright splotches of light around the bottom edges of screen?

cavaturamarble
cavaturamarble Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

I am now on my third Acer EB490QK 48.5" monitor, after purchasing and returning the first two.  Each of the three monitors I have ordered have exactly the same issue: white splotches of light appear on the screen, mostly noticeable when it is displaying darker images (such as a scene at night on a movie, for example). After returning the first two to Newegg, where I bought them, I decided if it happened a third time to just go ahead and stop bothering Newegg about it because clearly it is a manufacturing issue.

Here is what I think is happening, and I am hoping that someone might have a trick or two to resolve the issue: Something about screwing the stand into the base is creating pressure on the frame, which pushes into the protective plastic over the screen itself. The plastic then in turn depresses the screen, and shows white light; the same thing happens if you just push your finger gently anywhere else on the screen.

SO I'm not sure if this is just a defective design, or if the base stand itself is defective; I admit I made a silly mistake by simply using the same parts I received with the first monitor on the subsequent two, because that was before I had these suspicions. Anyway, I'm wondering if others have experienced this, or if I'm just an ***** for using the same parts every time, in which case sending me replacement parts for the stand may resolve the issue. I do not think the monitor is permanently damaged.

The picture below isn't the best because of the placement of the light; I've since rearranged things so I can take a clearer picture of my current monitor at night, when you can see it best, just ask if this image isn't good enough to see what I'm talking about (the best example of the issue is if you pay attention to the bottom left corner in the image below).

Please help! It's a huge bummer to not have perfect, crystal clear display, and is very distracting when watching videos.

Thank you!

Answers

• acomm
    acomm Member Posts: 1 New User
    What do you think of suspending the monitor by it's VESA mount to eliminate the foot stress?  When my monitor arrives in about a week, I'll look to see if it has the same white display.

Like you, I'm buying from Newegg which offers a SquareTrade warranty, but I see that Acer also sells an extended, however, I can't see the price without a serial number.

Since you already have the monitor, what do you think of visiting this link to see the cost, please?
    https://store.acer.com/en-us/erecovery/esp/

Thanks!
  • cavaturamarble
    cavaturamarble Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yeah, I thought about that but the issue is that I live in an apartment and not totally sure they would support me installing a mount. I can ask, but I also think the monitor should operate as designed; if they provide a base stand, I should get 100% clear picture!

I can look into that warranty if you want. I think I'll just call Acer support too and see if they have any documentation in their knowledge base on this issue. I can't find anything for this unit in the KBs I have access to, nor have I found anyone posting similar issues.
  • waigy
    waigy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I got the same monitor today and mine also has what looks like backlight bleed in the same positions as yours at the bottom just inside the mounts.
  • LouisvilleJoel
    LouisvilleJoel Member Posts: 1 New User
    I know that speakers can create this issue.  Not sure if you have speakers close to your screen.  I have mine wall mounted and the only thing that distorts the color slightly is that I have a studio speaker on the left of the screen.  Magnets inside them can do that to screens.