NEED URGENT HELP

Shrinivas1337
Shrinivas1337 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello guys. I just bought an Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 (i5 8th gen, 1050Ti). I tried out a few games on it (shogun 2 and call of duty ww2) and found that the cpu temperature was reaching up to 96 degrees Celsius. I took it to Acer service centre and they changed the thermal paste, but the problem still persists. I haven't tried undervolting or anything of that sort yet. So my question is, is the problem common for all predators? If I get a replacement, will I have a product without this problem? I'm a bit hesitant in getting a replacement as I have to leave the town for college soon.

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Shrinivas1337 
    Sorry to hear about your experience with your new laptop. Please open system information and check if the BIOS os updated to V1.15.
    If the issue presists, please contact Acer support in your region and check for option to fix this issue.
    96C is quite in the upper limit of what the CPU can handle. The best thing to lower you temperature, besides repasting, is to apply an undervolt via ThrottleStop. I repasted my own CPU, and undervolted and my temperatures rarely even hit 75C with benchmarking and heat testing.
    As soon as the CPU hits 97C, it will begin throttling. So when you are getting spikes to 97C, it immediately slows the CPU to bring temperatures down which can cause FPS drops.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Beingastan
    Beingastan Member Posts: 22 Networker
    From what I've read about the thermal management of the Helios 300 on the internet, it does get very warm during intense gaming sessions. Repasting using a good quality thermal paste (like Artic Silver 5) and undervolting should solve this problem IMO.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Shrinivas1337 
    Sorry to hear about your experience with your new laptop. Please open system information and check if the BIOS os updated to V1.15.
    If the issue presists, please contact Acer support in your region and check for option to fix this issue.
    96C is quite in the upper limit of what the CPU can handle. The best thing to lower you temperature, besides repasting, is to apply an undervolt via ThrottleStop. I repasted my own CPU, and undervolted and my temperatures rarely even hit 75C with benchmarking and heat testing.
    As soon as the CPU hits 97C, it will begin throttling. So when you are getting spikes to 97C, it immediately slows the CPU to bring temperatures down which can cause FPS drops.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!