Acer Predator G3-710, how to boot from USB or DVD?

Options
AG2018
AG2018 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives

I purchased ACER Predator G3-710 from Costco last month (June 2018), and it has 3 hard drives now.  

(a) M.2. SSD Intel 256 G: Windows 10 was installed when the desktop was shipped to me.

(b). SATA 1T HDD without any operating system, and it is pre-installed. 

(c). SATA SSD Samsung 500 G: I recently added it using the easy-swap slot below the DVD. It does not have any operating system now. I want to install a Unix System on the third drive of SATA SSD Samsung 500G so it will have a dual operating system in future. 

Then I took the following actions:

(a)    In the windows 10 system, Set Fast startup=Disable.

(b)    My BIOS version R02-B0, build date 12/15/2017. EC firmware version 2.01 and build date 5/19/2017.

(c)     BIOS—Authentication—Secure boot=Disable

(d)    BIOS—Launch CSM=always, Launch PXE OPROM=Legacy, Launch storage OPROM=Legacy, Launch VIDEO OPROM=Legacy, Boot Filter= Legacy  ( I do not know the exact meaning of each item, but I remember that I used “Legacy UEFI” or “legacy USB support=enable” in my another computer which I I successfully booted from USB jump drive)

(e)    BIOS—boot priority order 1. Removable device. 2. SSD Samsung 500 G. 3. DVD. 4. LAN.

(f)      Connect My USB drive which has bootable Ubunto 18.04

(g)    insert DVD -disk with Ubunto ISO file into the DVD ROM

After these actions, I tried to boot from either a USB jump drive or DVD in order to install Ubunto 18.04, however, the computer cannot boot at all. The error message is that “Reboot and select proper boot device, or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key___”

Please let me know what I should do. Thanks a lot in advance.

One specific question: is the removable device same as USB? Because the SSD in the easy-swap slot is viewed as a removable device, right? In G3-710 BIOS, how to specifically let the computer boot from USB drive, instead of a generic term of "removable device"? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    You cannot dual boot with a UEFI bootstrapper set to BIOS (legacy) mode!!! Legacy BIOS must be changed back to UEFI bootstrap. The Ubuntu iso installation stick must be GPT-partitioned, NOT MBR-partitioned, FAT32 formatted or UEFI bootstrapper won't see it. Depending on the Ubuntu flavor (for example Mint), secure boot may NOT have to be disabled. Here are the general steps for installing ubuntu in dual boot mode. Jack E/NJ

( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

Jack E/NJ

• farangpom
    farangpom Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    JackE,  Great that you helped the guy out but I was smiling at all the exclamation marks....  as an old guy who used to be a computer tech back when I had a brain, I can sympathise with both of you . Keep up the good work !!! JD
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I don't have a Predator computer model, but on most Acer desktops, it's different than a laptop.  For instructions on an Acer desktop, please see link below. 

Important!!.....Backup your important personal files and create an Acer/Windows USB recovery drive.
    Keep recovery drive in a safe place.

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38145/~/windows-10:-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center

1.  To fix your problem, you should start completely over.  Wipe your drive.  You can wipe it with "diskpart clean" or wipe it with Gparted or however you feel comfortable wiping your drive.  (deleting all of the partitions will also wipe the drive).  Make sure you create a USB factory recovery drive and backup your important personal files before you wipe your drive.

From a Windows admin command prompt or your USB recovery drive's admin command prompt, type 

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x   (x=the disk number of the drive you want to wipe)
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit 
    exit

2. Go in to BIOS settings and load defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)

3.  Go back in to BIOS settings and disable secure boot and enable the F12 boot menu...and make sure you're in UEFI mode....(launch CSM=never)

4. Use your USB recovery drive to reset your PC to Windows 10 defaults if necessary.

5. See link(s) below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533959/i-cant-boot-an-alternative-os-on-an-atc-780

6.  Use rufus to create your USB installation media.

Rufus settings:  GPT, UEFI (non-csm), FAT32

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Download the Ubuntu iso

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Some self help videos.

You can always order your recovery media from Acer to get you back to square 1 if you need a fresh start.

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Good luck!

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    @farangpom

The instructions that JackE gave are for an Acer laptop.   The original poster has an Acer desktop.  So they won't work.
    I'm not an Acer employee.