applying thermal paste acer helios 300

Options
aunebrushan1
aunebrushan1 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So i bought thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid, heard it was one of the best. I watched a tutorial on how to apply it, and this guy out thermal pads on some things i have no idea what is. is this recommended? can i use water to clean the old paste of or do i need alcohol?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    aunebrushan1 
    Please be aware that replacing the thermal paste will void the warranty. I would recommend talking to the Acer support in your region for more information on warranty.  Acer worldwide :  http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

The most common method is by using cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol. This can be purchased from almost every pharmacy and supermarket. This is used to remove the paste from the processor and cooler, be careful not to spill any!

You can also use Paper Towels dabbed in the Alcohol and rubbed on the cooler/processor to remove the Old Paste!

Before proceding, Switch off all power, Unplug all cords and devices, Press the power button and keep it pressed down for at least ten seconds to discharge any residual electricity that’s still present.
    Also, wear safety gear, Work in a dirt- and dust-free environment, Dust the heatsink’s vents. Scrape off old paste.Rub away the residue. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    aunebrushan1 
    Please be aware that replacing the thermal paste will void the warranty. I would recommend talking to the Acer support in your region for more information on warranty.  Acer worldwide :  http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

The most common method is by using cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol. This can be purchased from almost every pharmacy and supermarket. This is used to remove the paste from the processor and cooler, be careful not to spill any!

You can also use Paper Towels dabbed in the Alcohol and rubbed on the cooler/processor to remove the Old Paste!

Before proceding, Switch off all power, Unplug all cords and devices, Press the power button and keep it pressed down for at least ten seconds to discharge any residual electricity that’s still present.
    Also, wear safety gear, Work in a dirt- and dust-free environment, Dust the heatsink’s vents. Scrape off old paste.Rub away the residue. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • aunebrushan1
    Options
    thank your sir
  • aunebrushan1
    Options
    would you recommend thermal pads, referring to these components in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2ibK79zd8&index=2&list=FL2q5VRIrzSJnhzNxqgZSZ3Q&t=0s 
    circa 11:10
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Options
    would you recommend thermal pads, referring to these components in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2ibK79zd8&index=2&list=FL2q5VRIrzSJnhzNxqgZSZ3Q&t=0s 
    circa 11:10
    Thermals pads are not really a necessity. The biggest thing to change to paste and apply the correct amount (try to mimic the video, only paste about the size of a small grain of rice, replace the heat sink level to the CPU/GPU chips for equal spreading). 99% leave the thermal pads alone.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss