Cannot Activate my windows 10 help

xninja
xninja Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Well I just recently bought a Acer helios 300 and I wanted to install the windows anniversary build windows 10 Ver 1067 but after I installed it windows won't activate the windows key I got from the bios . What should I do ?

Best Answer

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    okay, it's coming across that the laptop came with a "newer" build and the site you have downloaded from pulls the image from the MSDN site which is a subscription based site for MS developers and would be used by those with paid enterprise licenses and the like.  MS have vastly restricted what can be downloaded directly from their site (images that work with OEM licenses), so if it doesn't work with a known "good" OEM key, my bet is that those images now only work with paid for product keys or those with a enterprise license.    I could be completely wrong on that (and hopefully i am for the your sake!), but MS have tightened the nuts well and truly over the last 5 or so years...

Answers

• Gawain
    edited July 2018
    1067 or 1607?  Out of interest, where and how did you download this version?
  • xninja

Tinkerer

1607 my bad from.this site http
    Gawain said:
    1067 or 1607?  Out of interest, where and how did you download this version?

://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-download-build-14393-0/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-iso-download-standard/

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    How did you get the windows key from bios? List the steps please, and/or any software you used... reason being not all these tools retrieve the windows key properly.

Example: My laptop came with windows 10 home. I upgraded to pro with a standalone pro key from MS.
    And then I used a couple of tools/ways to retrieve the key... and none of these methods gave me the actual key used - neither that of home nor of the pro version i used.
    Pro i already have to compare and so i know. The home version i checked against a windows 10 home virtual machine, and it didn't work.

For people who aren't aware, if you install the same version of windows on a VM on the same system that came with windows, the host key works on the VM too. But if you do this on a different laptop, there is a high possibility the key won't work.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • xninja

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    How did you get the windows key from bios? List the steps please, and/or any software you used... reason being not all these tools retrieve the windows key properly.

Example: My laptop came with windows 10 home. I upgraded to pro with a standalone pro key from MS.
    And then I used a couple of tools/ways to retrieve the key... and none of these methods gave me the actual key used - neither that of home nor of the pro version i used.
    Pro i already have to compare and so i know. The home version i checked against a windows 10 home virtual machine, and it didn't work.

For people who aren't aware, if you install the same version of windows on a VM on the same system that came with windows, the host key works on the VM too. But if you do this on a different laptop, there is a high possibility the key won't work.

sri369 said:

Hey you can get the bios key just type this command on CMD :
    wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProducyKey

• Gawain
    Answer ✓
    okay, it's coming across that the laptop came with a "newer" build and the site you have downloaded from pulls the image from the MSDN site which is a subscription based site for MS developers and would be used by those with paid enterprise licenses and the like.  MS have vastly restricted what can be downloaded directly from their site (images that work with OEM licenses), so if it doesn't work with a known "good" OEM key, my bet is that those images now only work with paid for product keys or those with a enterprise license.    I could be completely wrong on that (and hopefully i am for the your sake!), but MS have tightened the nuts well and truly over the last 5 or so years...
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Agree with the post above.
    Most likely your key is for 1703 or 1709 - whichever your laptop came with.
    - Hotel Hero
  • xninja

Tinkerer

Gawain said:

Red-Sand said:
    Yep it worked on 1709 .It came with 1803 . You were right man .
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    xninja said:
    Gawain said:

Red-Sand said:
    Glad it worked brother. 😁
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    xninja said:
    Keys do not work across different versions of windows - home, pro, msdn... they work between releases of same version.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045