G3-710 "Easy" Swap HDD Bay design flaw

oku
oku Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives

My G3-710 is only a week old. That so called easy swap bay is not at all easy to work with. What's up with those 4 plastic bolt pins? When they are still attached to the plastic frame I can't fit my hdd in, and once the hdd is in, I can't align those bolts into the screw holes of the hdd. The design won't allow it unless you want to stretch the plastic frame to a point it might break. 5 years ago we had case where you can just dock and connect a hdd without any peripheral. And now cheap plastic frame and bolts!?? How do you work this thing?

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>How do you work this thing?>>>
    I've always used only one or two screws to secure a desktop drive. Even if one hole still won't align, out comes my drill or trusty rat-tail file --- easier to do this nowadays with the 'cheap plastic frames'. =)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oku
    Answer ✓
    OK. Thanks. At least physically the hdd got into bay (even with a click sound). Still no OS recognised it and pressing F12 can't boot from it either. Guess it's an entirely different question already...

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>How do you work this thing?>>>
    I've always used only one or two screws to secure a desktop drive. Even if one hole still won't align, out comes my drill or trusty rat-tail file --- easier to do this nowadays with the 'cheap plastic frames'. =)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• oku
    Answer ✓
    OK. Thanks. At least physically the hdd got into bay (even with a click sound). Still no OS recognised it and pressing F12 can't boot from it either. Guess it's an entirely different question already...
  • oku
    God! this Acer's Stackoverflow-wannabe is so dumb it posted everything twice and tricked me into clicking my own comments as an "answer" instead of JackE's! 
  • JackE
    If it was an MBR-partitioned HDD, you likely won't be able to boot from it or see it except in Legacy BIOS which I'd advise against trying. Check if devicemgmt.msc can see it. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    >>>At least physically the hdd got into bay (even with a click sound)>>>clicking my own comments as an "answer" >>>

With a click sound too!!! That sounds like a good answer to me! =)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ