Nitro AN515-51 not detecting add-on hdd sata hard drive

Umi
Umi Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have purchased acer nitro 5 256gb ssd from amazon recently. My laptop have preinstalled hdd caddy kit and cable. When i plugged in new hdd sata hard drive it doesn't show in bios or in system. I have tried 2 3 different hard drives all are in fine working condition. Kindly resolve my issue whether its settings issue or what.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,078 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    How are you connecting the SSD? Are you using an external enclosure or replacing the existing HDD?
  • Umi

Tinkerer

edited July 2018
    my laptop have 256gb ssd on chip pre-installed.
    as i want to increase my space i wanted to add extra hard drive in hard drive bay. My windows running fine on ssd but i when i install sata hard drive of 1 Tb or less it didn't show in bios or in system. 
  • Umi

Tinkerer

Umi said:
    I have purchased acer nitro 5 256gb ssd from amazon recently. My laptop have preinstalled hdd caddy kit and cable. When i plugged in new hdd sata hard drive it doesn't show in bios or in system. I have tried 2 3 different hard drives all are in fine working condition. Kindly resolve my issue whether its settings issue or what.

acer nitro 5  256 gb SSD
    this is specs of my laptop
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Go to Disk management(right click start), right click the HDD and give it a drive letter.

• Umi

Tinkerer

That is the issue that my laptop is not detecting it
  • brummyfan2
    Did you connect the SATA cable yourself or it came with the laptop? If you have connected, please check the cable connection to the motherboard.
  • Umi

Tinkerer

it came with the laptop pre-installed
  • btrentini
    btrentini Member Posts: 1 New User
    Umi said:

I'm having the same problem! Did you solve it? I'm thinking of opening the whole laptop and checking if the SATA cable is properly connected to Motherboard.
  • Mighty1
    Mighty1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the same problem with my Nitro 5! I have a clean 120GB HDD to install in the laptop. I install it, then go to disk management: it's not there! Is that connector a fake? What's up?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Make sure this JHDD2 connector on the mainboard in the image below is actually connected. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mighty1
    Mighty1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Mighty1 said:
    I am having the same problem with my Nitro 5! I have a clean 120GB HDD to install in the laptop. I install it, then go to disk management: it's not there! Is that connector a fake? What's up?
    I tried with a different drive. A 250 GB SSD this time, and it worked. I think it was just not compatible with the older HDD, even though I configured it to the newer GPT format. Now it is mounted and seems to be working.
  • JackE
    Mighty1  What's the model of the 128GB drive that didn't work. And the 256GB drive that did work? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SuperSquishy
    SuperSquishy Member Posts: 4 New User
    So mine shows up but doesn't give me any option to do anything with it. Just says unallocated. What should I do? 
  • JackE
    SuperSquishy   Press WIN+R. Enter 'diskmgmt.msc'. Post a screenshot of result if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ