Audio Playback issues && Video/VGA Driver Installation

Options
StevenDorsey
StevenDorsey Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Produce: Acer -- Predator PH317-51
Serial Number: NHQ29AA0047420B7243400

When I plug my headset in, it works well enough with the headset, but never works with them pulled out. Are there speakers in this laptop for audio playback, because I've been running the audio driver I got from this website, running the troubleshooter, and etc. No matter what, the sound doesn't work unless I plug in a headphone cable.

Oh, also, the Geforce GTX 1060 driver doesn't want to install. It says my windows version isn't compatible. Thats when I try to update through the device manager. It doesn't really say what the problem is when I do that. When I try to install the nVidia VGA 21.21 drivers from this website, they present the error of being incompatible with my OS version. All i know is, i have a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in the devmgmt.msc that's displaying a construction cone icon, and needs to be updated, but Windows can't update it to save its life: 

Current Windows version: Windows 10 Home -- 1803 I think? It's not displaying in System atm, and retrying windows updates presents this: 

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    StevenDorsey 

>>>>You can download and install the Nvidia Automatic driver updater :
    https://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.14.0.139/GeForce_Experience_v3.14.0.139.exe 

>>>>You can also download the drivers and install the drivers manually from Acer website. Nvidia Driver Download
    Download and install the Nvidia  driver manually.
    Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.  Open Device Manager, click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.  Expand the section that needs the driver or device with yellow exclamation mark.
    Right-click and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
    Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    Restart your computer. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    StevenDorsey 

>>>>You can download and install the Nvidia Automatic driver updater :
    https://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.14.0.139/GeForce_Experience_v3.14.0.139.exe 

>>>>You can also download the drivers and install the drivers manually from Acer website. Nvidia Driver Download
    Download and install the Nvidia  driver manually.
    Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.  Open Device Manager, click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.  Expand the section that needs the driver or device with yellow exclamation mark.
    Right-click and select Update Driver Software. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
    Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    Click Have Disk. Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.
    Click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.
    Restart your computer. 

• StevenDorsey
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    StevenDorsey 
    Please try the below mentioned steps and update the status.
    >>>>Check your output device
    Click the small up arrow in the bottom right hand corner of your screen, next to the clock and calendar.
    Right-click the small speaker icon, and select “Open Sound Settings.”
    In the settings menu, look to the top-entry that reads, “Choose your output device.” Use the drop-down menu to make sure that your correct device is selected, whether that’s your speakers or a connected set of headphones. While you’re there, double 

>>>>Check that the volume isn’t at zero either.
    Update your sound card drivers
    Open device manager and Choose “Sound, video and game controllers.”   double-click realtek audio device and then go to the “Driver” tab, and look for the option to “Update Driver.” This will start an automatic Windows search to find driver updates and  download them.

>>>>Reinstall audio driver.
    If updating it doesn’t work, then open your Device Manager, find your sound card again, and right-click on the icon. Select “Uninstall.” This will remove your driver, but don’t panic. Restart your computer, and Windows will try to reinstall the driver. Allow it to do so, and you may find that your sound is back on.

>>>>Use a generic “high definition audio device” driver.
    This can often circumvent compatibility issues and restore sound capabilities to Windows activities.
    Open the “Device Manager” again and find your audio device, Right-click the driver and choose “Update driver.”
    Instead of letting Windows search for it automatically, select “Browse my computer for driver software.” Then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.” This will bring up a list which will include “High Definition Audio Device.” This is the generic Windows 10 driver. Select and install it, to see if this restores your sound.

The second part of your message is in the process of installing. This part is a little more complicated. My sound devices context menus and etc are a bit....different from how they normally look in Windows 10. So I might have to take a bit tracking down where my menus are that correspond to "making sure that my correct device is selected, whether its my speakers or a connected set of headphones". To my knowledge, I thought there was something like that with my OS before, but rn I'm only really seeing the one 'Realtek High Definition Audio(SST)' device. 

2. I can at least rest assured my volume isn't zero during these instances. :) Even without the enhancements on, this sound card warps at high volumes. So, the sound is low, but its on enough to be heard with speakers or earbuds are plugged in. 

3. I think I did that one time recently, but bear in mind, I tried to clone my OS to my HDD, and then tried to clone it back when I saw how slow a HDD was in comparison to an SDD, and wound up having to just install Win10 back over the SDD fresh. So, I downloaded the drivers, PredatorSense, and the QuickActions software from Acer manually again, but I might be lacking software that came with the laptop apart from that. In that regard, it might be user error that is causing these symptoms, wherein using the Device manager to install and reinstall the drivers multiple times in multiple Win10 versions/environments hasn't caused this to go away as of yet.

4. I think one of those was used once when I uninstalled the drivers through devmgmt. I'll look into the particulars of that later though.
  • StevenDorsey
    Options
    [Update] -- I've managed to manually install the drivers for the NVIDIA virtual audio device (wave extensible) (WDM). It didn't seem to have an impact on my playing sound externally (without headphones or earbuds). I'm just trying to determine if this thing actually has speakers for that purpose or not. The amazon page says this thing has "...Acer True Harmony Technology Sound System, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers...".

Source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PY18CN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If this thing doesn't have the physical hardware to play sounds except through the 3.5 mm jack, I'll adapt, but I'm just trying to make sure this isn't one of the many driver and software issues I've been working with, since I pulled a script kiddie move. I've got everything else under wraps now, the laptop is fully updated. This is the last concern for me to contend with. :)