Help again G9-791 is now an expensive paperweight

Options
LalaGamer
LalaGamer Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Spent about 2 hours online yesterday with ACER helpdesk and the guy just managed to help me to turn the laptop into a more unresponsive paperweight. We did a reset that was successful but the reinstallation of the OS fails at 9% The laptop is now in an infinite loop of starting up; trying to load; getting a BSOD (now yellow screen and pink screens of death) with a DPC watchdog violation error.
I tried to create a bootable USB device with the older version of Windows 10 on it (I succeeded in that at least) but when I try and boot from the USB it tells me that there is no option to boot from a USB device. I also tried to roll back to previous version but it does not allow me. I tried to install from the 3 different windows versions it has stored in the secret partition but it runs into issues each time and aborts the installation. Does anyone have any advice?

Best Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    follow this guide to create a compatile UEFI USB bootable device:
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsoft tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    click on Select and load you downloaded ISO image
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT"
    as Target System selec "UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data if possible * 
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot if it's a laptop or Del key if it's a desktop, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 or Del key to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    6) once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x is the number of your HDD/SSD)
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit again to close command prompt
    8) proceed with windows 10 installation

* you can try to backup your files using this trick from windows 10 installation media:
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    IronFly said:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    click on Start
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot if it's a laptop or Del key if it's a desktop, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 or Del key to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    6) once at language/keyboard selection, press shift+F10, a command prompt will open
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit

* you can try to backup your files using this trick from windows 10 installation media:
    You dont need same windows 10 version tho, and I would advice against installing newest version, especially since its this version which created problems for lala.

Rest of advice is top notch :)

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2) download Rufus:
    click on Start
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit

• M4rdock
    Answer ✓
    Options
    IronFly said:
    2) download Rufus:
    click on Start
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit

You dont need same windows 10 version tho, and I would advice against installing newest version, especially since its this version which created problems for lala.

Rest of advice is top notch :)
  • LalaGamer

Tinkerer

Options
    IronFly said:
    2) download Rufus:
    click on Start
    7) type
    Diskpart
    list disk
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I was reading a few older posts and found that most of the guys recommend RUFUS to create the bootable USB and that seemed to have done the trick. 
  • LalaGamer

Tinkerer

Options
    I installed an older version I think its 1703 its completed the installation but giving me a black screen after installation :astonished: 
    I'm going to let it sit a bit but there is nothing happening on the hard drive so I am guessing its crashed :anguished:
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Another possibility to convert the pendrive to boot is using powershell as administrator! To do this, just enter the following commands: diskpart, list disk, sel disk x (x is the number of pendrive), clean, convert gpt, create partition primary, format fs = fat32 quick, assign! After typing these commands, simply paste the windows files to the pendrive and to boot, press the f12 or f2 keys on the notebook! You do not need rufus!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • IronFly
    Options
    "as same version on your laptop" i mean x64 version, since, in the past, some user tried to install x86 version.
  • M4rdock
    Options
    Have you formatted your hard drive before installing fresh windows?
  • LalaGamer

Tinkerer

Options
    OK now that its all installed how do I tell Windows to never install another update ever!?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Just go in settings, update and security, advanced options, pause updates!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LalaGamer

Tinkerer

Options
    M4rdock said:
    Have you formatted your hard drive before installing fresh windows?
    Yes I did
  • LalaGamer

Tinkerer

Options
    OK installed all the ACER drivers now and everything worked fine. Left the Nvidia driver for last. Even did a reboot before loading the Nvidia driver. The Nvidia was version 388.31 as suggested and after it installed I did another reboot and it froze and gave me a BSOD, and back into the loop we went. I am going to uninstall 388.31 and just stick to the ACER drivers...apparently I am not allowed shiny Nvidia drivers :anguished:
  • LalaGamer

Tinkerer

Options
    OK Acer Nvidia driver also causes crash.
  • M4rdock
    Options
    LalaGamer said:
    OK Acer Nvidia driver also causes crash.
    https://windowsreport.com/nvidia-driver-crash-windows-10/ 
    try this.
    Also - try to install first old drivers for intel graphic driver, if it doesnt help try with newest - its common that on windows 10 nvidia and intel gpu dont work well together.
    If everything fails you can always try windows 8.1, it could also save your skin.

Also if your computer is on warranty i would consider sending it to repair.

Also, what bios version do you have on laptop?