G6-720 Easy Swap Drive issue

Rattlebones
Rattlebones Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
Hey folks...
I purchased a Predator G6-720 here to replace a PC that literally went up in smoke/flames.
I salvaged all the hard drives from the old PC and have been able to use the easy swap drive (sorta) for all of them (We'll ignore my current complaint about the tray not being suitable for swapping laptop drives).
I have been trying to track down which drive I had stored my quicken data on... when I search I can find files from last year or older on all the drives.
Here comes the rub... I have one drive left which I can't search which probably has my current quicken data stored on it.
When I put the drive in the easy swap bay and reboot the system will not reboot.
NOTE: This was not the drive which contained the OS for the previous system, it is just a 1.5Tb data drive I was using.
Any ideas on how I can get around this?

To be a bit more specific ... I get the music, I get the Predator splash screen, I can go into the boot options (which really is just the stupid windows boot manager is the only option) and I can go into BIOS (where I can't select a specific HD, only the boot manager). And then the keyboard, mouse and USB slots shut down while the system stays powered up never loading the OS.

Thanks in advance for any help.
JT

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>I have one drive left which I can't search which probably has my current quicken data stored on it.>>>When I put the drive in the easy swap bay and reboot the system will not reboot.>>>

Please stop trying to force your new machine's easy swap section to run an old drive that was in another PC that went up in flames. If it was mine, I'd probably to try to read it from one of the easily-replaceable USB slots or preferrably on another machine that I didn't care about overloading the mainboard's  power-handling section till I saw smoke. :o Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rattlebones

Tinkerer

A bit confused by your response JackE...
    The Easy Swap slot is designed for this very purpose, to rapidly switch out hard drives.
    Given the power supply there is no reason that this PC should not be able to handle multiple additional drives.
    As I mentioned in my original post, the Easy-Swap drive easily handled other drives without issue, just this one drive is giving issue. 
    I recognize that the drive may be a victim of the previous system's meltdown. . . however, the drive powers up. . . The system just acts like it wants to boot from it instead of from the SSD drive.

As an aside, I have a Hot-Swap docking station en-route and will attempt to access the drive through that hardware and see if the drive is actually dead or if it's just Window's Boot Manager that's giving me grief.

If no other updates, will post when I have tested the drive.
  • JackE
    I was more concerned with the actual number of amps the flamed-drive was drawing now. The drive also must be GPT-partitioned to boot from it with UEFI bootstrap. If it was mine, I'd wait to see what it does in the docking station rather than chance frying the G6. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rattlebones

Tinkerer

Well, I think your caution was well deserved. While the drive powers up I think it got cooked in the fire. Even with the external docking port the drive powers up but can't be seen by the system... Time to cycle the other 4 drives and see if I just missed my files I'm looking for or if they are lost on the one bad drive.
  • JackE
    On a machine with a USB port you don't care much about, you could try to see it with a USB-SATA cable adapter. Less than $10. Good luck with it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ