Another USB type C charging question: Acer Spin 5 SP513-52N-55LV

Rokulus
Rokulus Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have the Spin 5 (model # SP513-52N-55LV, part # NX.GR7AA.006) and I want to be able to connect it to a docking station with the USB type C port handling everything. The charger is 45W (19V, 2.37A). Oddly, the product description on the Acer website doesn't even acknowledge the USB type C port, which I can assure you exists. The Best Buy description does mention the USB-C port and says that it can charge the laptop. An Acer customer service representative confirmed that to me the other day.

One of the docking stations I'm looking at is the Plugable UD-CAM, which outputs up to 85W with 20V & 5A, which exceeds the Spin 5's requirements. Alternatively, I could get a more modest pass-through device like the Iogear GUD3C03 (up to 60W) coupled with a powerful enough USB-C charger.

What I'm wondering is does the dock's power delivery output specifically have to match the 19V/2.37A of the Acer charger? Or will the laptop only take what it needs from a charger that exceeds 19V and 2.37A? I'm no expert in these things and I know that USB-C charging has been anything but simple so I'd appreciate some shared knowledge. Thanks!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Rokulus 

The power requirements for charging notebook via USB type C is 19.5V 2.25A.
    You can use a Acer USB type C Dock with part number NP.DCK11.01C. It is available at Acer store.
    https://store.acer.com/en-us/acer-usb-type-c-dock

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Rokulus
    Sharanji said:
    Rokulus 

The power requirements for charging notebook via USB type C is 19.5V 2.25A.
    You can use a Acer USB type C Dock with part number NP.DCK11.01C. It is available at Acer store.
    https://store.acer.com/en-us/acer-usb-type-c-dock

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Thanks for the response. So are you saying that the USB type C port has a different power requirement than the main charging input? That seems unnecessarily confusing. So if that Acer dock outputs 135 W it would have more than 19.5V 2.25A. So it would seem that any USB-C charger with more than those numbers should be able to charge the laptop.
  • Rokulus
    I contacted Acer support and it appears that the USB type C port will not charge the laptop at the same time as it's connecting to an external monitor. Bummer. I'll still get a dock, I'll just have to have it plugged in for power separately.