Acer Spin 5 Sp515-51gn-56z4 issues after SSD upgrade

JLCx
JLCx Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi!
I bought my Acer spin 5 some weeks ago, and didn't have any problem until I installed a Western Digital Green M.2 2280 SSD. After doing a clean install, windows 10 started to have several issues, like BSoD and such, but it works well after surviving one of them. The BSoD are different, but the most common reason is because a new hardware or a driver is malfunctioning. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! 

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer âś“
    >>> I tried to clone [old drive] at first and failed miserably>>>

Is the old drive still available? If yes, the hidden ACER-Win10 recovery partition should still be intact. If you tried to clone it to a new m.2 card, esp a smaller one, the cloning process may not be straightforward. You also may be able to purchase the ACER-specific Win10 installation USB stick tied to your machine's serial number id through your Chilean vendor and ACER representative ~45 usd. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    What do you mean by "clean install"? Was it an MS-generic Win10 install which might not have all the correct drivers and system files? Or an ACER-specific Win10 install which should have all the correct drivers and system files? Jack E?NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JLCx
    edited July 2018
    JackE said:
    What do you mean by "clean install"? Was it an MS-generic Win10 install which might not have all the correct drivers and system files? Or an ACER-specific Win10 install which should have all the correct drivers and system files? Jack E?NJ
    An MS-Generic Install. I tried to clone it at first and failed miserably, and I forgot to make a backup of the Acer-specific win10
  • JackE
    OK. First check Device Manager for the device drivers with red and yellow warnings. Then you can download and try to install these ACER drivers https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7408?b=1   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JLCx
    JackE said:
    OK. First check Device Manager for the device drivers with red and yellow warnings. Then you can download and try to install these ACER drivers https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7408?b=1   Jack E/NJ

I don't have any yellow warning showing up. I ran an SFC scan and the CBS log shows some corrupted dlls. When you said Acer-specific win 10, can I do that using Acer Care Center and its system recovery tool? That's one the options I haven't tried so far. 
  • If you did a custom installation using a pendrive with windows 10 then it is very likely that you deleted the acer recovery partition!
    Before attempting to reinstall windows, try upgrading the drivers with the driverbooster or driverpack to see if it solves the problem! Once this is done, check if there is any firmware available for your ssd by downloading the program from this site https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279
    Oi! Eu nĂŁo sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JLCx
    If you did a custom installation using a pendrive with windows 10 then it is very likely that you deleted the acer recovery partition!
    Before attempting to reinstall windows, try upgrading the drivers with the driverbooster or driverpack to see if it solves the problem! Once this is done, check if there is any firmware available for your ssd by downloading the program from this site https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279
    I did both earlier today, but I'm out home at the moment, so I haven't checked if it's working. If I create a recovery USB from the same model (not mine but a friend's), should it work? Or is there any other possible way in which I can find a proper Acer Win10 recovery image? 
  • I would try to update the notebook drivers and the SSD firmware before!
    Oi! Eu nĂŁo sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Answer âś“

Is the old drive still available? If yes, the hidden ACER-Win10 recovery partition should still be intact. If you tried to clone it to a new m.2 card, esp a smaller one, the cloning process may not be straightforward. You also may be able to purchase the ACER-specific Win10 installation USB stick tied to your machine's serial number id through your Chilean vendor and ACER representative ~45 usd. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JLCx
    JackE said:

Guess I'll have to do that. I erased the recovery partition from the old drive. Thanks!Â