Predator Helios 300 GTX 1060-6gb GPU Memory Downclocked Significantly in Benchmarks and Games

Options
insertpi
insertpi Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello, I recently picked myself up a Predator Helios 300 laptop from Amazon, and while it worked fine for the first day or so, I've experienced times where the GPU Memory clock on the GTX 1060 will downclock to 810 MHz under heavy load, and get stuck there for hours. It will not reach 4004 MHz like when I ran my benchmarks when I first received the laptop. It is not thermal throttling, because the core temperature is a healthy 50 C, and the actual GPU clock is working perfectly. It's just the memory clock. My numbers come from benchmarks such as Heaven Unigine, so the numbers are displayed as the frames are being rendered. I average about 15 FPS in Heaven Unigine, where I was getting 45 FPS when I first received the laptop. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of the video drivers, rebooted the laptop, and done everything short of fully reinstalling Windows or disassembling the laptop. I have only owned this laptop since this past Saturday.

Best Answer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    insertpi said:
    After playing around I just learned it only does this when it's running on battery power. New question: is it possible to change this?
    You battery won't be able to support the power requirements of both CPU and GPU when pushed to max. Also, extreme pressure on battery for power like this risks into making it explode. This is one reason why power is limited for most components when on battery. I can't think of any battery supporting 200 watts output in such small form factor, at sustained levels.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Answers

• sri369
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What is your model? Mine is a G3-572...
    Power connected:

On battery (on laptop screen):

On battery (on my external screen):

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • insertpi
    Options
    Mine is a G3-571
  • insertpi
    Options
    After playing around I just learned it only does this when it's running on battery power. New question: is it possible to change this?
  • sri369
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    insertpi said:
    You battery won't be able to support the power requirements of both CPU and GPU when pushed to max. Also, extreme pressure on battery for power like this risks into making it explode. This is one reason why power is limited for most components when on battery. I can't think of any battery supporting 200 watts output in such small form factor, at sustained levels.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • insertpi
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thank you very much. I didn't catch the common denominator being the power being plugged in until I saw your pictures. You have been very helpful.
  • sri369
    Options
    insertpi said:
    Thank you very much. I didn't catch the common denominator being the power being plugged in until I saw sri's pictures. You have been very helpful.
    Thank you @insertpi for the nice words.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'd like to add that Heavens Bench doesnt show accurate clocks on the top right. 

It shows the same values for a 1050, 1050ti, 1060 , 1070 etc etc.

The best way to determine GPU clock speeds while an application is running is to use a program like GPU Z or HWMonitor.

You can also greatly increase performance while on battery by using geforce experience's feature "optimize game" which if you activate while on battery will automatically set your graphic settings to their best performance while unplugged.
    There is also an option in geforce experience that enables "battery optimization" which caps fps to a Nvidia determined level which I believe is voted on by users.

It works quite well.
    - Hotel Hero