Help with Acer Helio 300

Options
xninja
xninja Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi
I recently bought a Acer predator helios 300 PH315-15 (i5 8gen ,1050ti) . I will get my laptop tomorrow. It was only after I purchased the product that I heard about the problem with black screen and everything I'm a bit worried
* Will the latest Bios update fix the problem ?
* I wanted to do a clean install of windows to the old windows anniversary version which I run on my desktop 1067 Ver since I found the both 1079 and 1803 version slow. Will I lose my product key ? Since it comes pre-installed ?
* I also wanted to know how to buy extended warranty for my laptop.

Either way I don't know if I will get lucky but if the laptop work I'm planning on keeping it . Or I will have to refund it . I liked the old predator model laptop my friend has so I really hope it works .

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    BIOs update does indeed fix the black screen issue. No worries there.

If you startup your laptop and before connecting to the internet set your wifi connection to "metered" it will prevent updates.

You can also use winaero tweaker to disable windows updates as well.

Overall the windows version doesnt matter as long as whenever you update to a major version you reinstall Acers drivers from their website.

Your product key is built into your BIOs but you can also get your key using elevated cmd, and executing...

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

The extended warranty I'll have to step aside and wait for an ACE to answer.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Red-Sand
    edited July 2018 Answer ✓
    Options

If you startup your laptop and before connecting to the internet set your wifi connection to "metered" it will prevent updates.

Overall the windows version doesnt matter as long as whenever you update to a major version you reinstall Acers drivers from their website.

Your product key is built into your BIOs but you can also get your key using elevated cmd, and executing...

- Hotel Hero
  • xninja

Tinkerer

Options
    Red-Sand said:

Thanks man . Ill update after I get the laptop today .
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    @xninja

Also, go to power settings, and disable "fast startup" option.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    sri369 said:
    @xninja

Why would they need to disable fast startup?
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    sri369 said:
    @xninja

Why would they need to disable fast startup?
    This option enables stateless hibernate mode. After killing the user session, windows saves the machine state. Compare this to hibernate where the machine state is saved, along with user session data. This disallows windows from truly shutting down. If any application went rogue before you shut down with this option on, and started laptop, the app is still rogue after boot up.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    I am aware of its features but perhaps this should be recommended when its needed to diagnose an issue or at least explain so they can decide if they want to disable it 🙂
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    I am aware of its features but perhaps this should be recommended when its needed to diagnose an issue or at least explain so they can decide if they want to disable it 🙂
    I say this... cos it is easier to debug/solve issues based on how steps to reproduce after a cold boot.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • xninja

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    @xninja

I disable it . Thanx for the suggestion. Laptop is working great .
  • xninja

Tinkerer

Options
    Red-Sand said:

So the laptop came in with the latest bios intalled everything is working fine. I disabled updates and tweaked windows . Can't wait to see how it runs Dark souls !
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    xninja said:
    Red-Sand said:

So the laptop came in with the latest bios intalled everything is working fine. I disabled updates and tweaked windows . Can't wait to see how it runs Dark souls !
    Ahhhhhh Dark Souls fan 👍
    Glad to hear everything is working well.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Options
    xninja said:
    Dark souls... eeks!!!
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------